Downloading Updates...

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Teraclips, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teraclips

Teraclips Registered Member

Hi, Im a Symantec product user but lately when I upgraded from Norton 360 v1.0 to v2.0 my computer got a big slow performance(but is getting better with each upgrade but still I feel the lack of speed) well to not make it a long story I purchased after a long research this product and Im a try it in my other laptop XP based and it is using a Norton 360 v1.0 thats about to expire well the thing is that the connection is very slow so I want to know if I can download all updates separatly just to open them and install them.
    Thank you
    PD: by the way Symantec products never dissapointed me when is about security but this performance affectance made a dif. now. And I hope this new product have the feature of new Norton 360 2.0 that saves your Log-ins and personal info and cred-cards cause is really nice and you dont have to bother to take your wallet out or remembering all those passwords from every site you visit.

2. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

No - you can not do that.

3. Teraclips

Teraclips Registered Member

ooh well thank you, with Symantec products you cant either just trying my luck hahaha.

4. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

technically, there is a way to get those downloads in a way to put them onto disk or flash drive - but it requires a BUSINESS license - and then running your own update mirror - you can then copy the update folder from the place it's stored to a removable device or CD-R etc - but that's not exactly what are are after I deduced.

5. Michael York

Michael York Registered Member

Hi Teraclips,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team responding to your posting about Norton 360.

If your computer is running slowly after upgrading to Norton 360 2.0, it can be an indication of a lack of resources available, an infection on your system, or a problem with your installation.

I would suggest that you first run the Windows Disk Cleanup utilities to make sure that there are no problems with your hard drive. For optimal operation, you should have at least 512 MB of RAM installed as well. You may also want to optimize your system resources by following the instructions in the following document.

Symantec guide to resource optimization

The next step would be to run LiveUpdate and to then complete a "Comprehensive Scan" on your computer from with Norton 360.

Please try this process and let me know if any infections were found and if the slowness issue has been resolved.

Thank you,
    Mike

6. terradon

terradon Registered Member

After dumping Norton several years ago because it caused such a dramatic slowdown on very powerful systems, I fell victim to the promise of reviewers that Symantec had gotten the message and streamlined ISS 2007. It ran well for a while but then started having update problems. Several months of worthless tech support with nobody bothering to read what the previous techs had suggested, nor my response of what happened after trying the "fix" and I gave up. New laptop, time to try ISS 2008 on it. Same problems with the addition of several new problems. Again, tech support tried every canned response that had ever been written, but once again, nobody bothered to see if their responses even made sense or fit the very detailed problem reports that I started with.

The type of response that you saw above is one of the first answers, almost verbatim, that is sent to anyone with problems. Never mind that you just built a super system with tons of memory, harddrive space, and a clean install of whichever operating system, with no pre-installed crap from a system vendor, a barebones process startup, etc...

The best security in the world is worthless if it is such a burden that you don't use it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.