Downloading ms updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by craigbass76, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigbass76

craigbass76 Registered Member

A firend has an old computer, and she needs to update things to watch some piano lesson videos I gave her. On dial up (31k is as fast as the phone line goes) the new "long horn" project Microsoft has will be outdated by the time she gets what she needs. Is there a way for me to download directX 9 and the new media player on my broadband connection, then burn it to cd and take it over to install on her computer?

I tried to find posts on this topic, but didn't really turn up anything.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

DirectX can be downloaded from Microsoft's DirectX page, Windows Media Player from their Media Player page.

More usefully (in my view), security-related updates can be obtained via the Microsoft Security Bulletins page - which should be a useful alternative to Windows Update for many (it has no Internet Explorer requirement, no need to permit ActiveX and no privacy concerns with having to let Microsoft scan your PC).

3. craigbass76

The directX download just starts another download that actually installs the stuff. I want directX that I can put on a cd and install on someone else's computer. I'm also running XP, which is the directX I get. I'll need it for 98

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi craig

Here's a link to DirectX 9.0c Redistributable for Software Developers - Multilingual. :)

5. craigbass76

Thank you. I wondered if that was something I wanted but wasn't sure. Thanks alot.

Coming here is always such a rewarding experience.

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

My pleasure, Craig. :)

From the downloadpage:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.