Downloading movies

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rmus, Dec 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Is mininova.org considered a safe/legitimate site for downloading movies?

thanks,

----
    rich

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

Safe as a torrent site can be. It only hosts torrents, so anyone can upload anything they like. As for legality, well... there are full DVD rips there (with cracks included) of games, movies, music, whatever. So it's really up to you and your moral standards how will you use this site and the torrents there.

That said, I've been using it (and many others) for years. Never seen malicious content - on the site itself. Torrents are another thing...

Cheers and a Happy New Year,

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Don't use torrents to download executable content and read the comments and you will be fine, legality aside ;)

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Thanks - it is as I thought.

I was curious, since recently hearing that someone was hit while using that site.

I checked and found nothing malicious on the site itself, so concluded that it had to have occurred while downloading.

----
    rich

5. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

It's an interesting subject- obviously those that are responsible for making movies want to be financially compensated by those who enjoy them, and downloading movies is ultimately, though I hate to admit it- wrong at least on some level.

On the one hand though, downloading movies via torrent, I have usually utilized this to download movies that are of foreign language, avant garde, or are otherwise movies that I couldn't run into at my local video rental store or even by any other means have the opportunity to be aware of the movies existence. Used in this way, it really is a form of education, and allows one the opportunity to experience movies they otherwise would never be aware of. Obviously, torrent's allowance of one to experience a wide range of movies never before available, can allow a person to see films from all over the world, and as stated above, this really is a form of education.

It's a shame that education in any form, should have to cost money, because everyone is enriched by increasing their understanding of the world around them, but not everyone has disposable income....

It's quite a thing to be considered on both sides.

6. strangequark

strangequark Registered Member

Mininova is probably one of the better torrent sites, and as Lucas points out try to find torrents that have comments with them, it usually doesn't take long before people post negative comments if there is any thing wrong with a particular torrent.

Demonoid the best and safest torrent site was taken down some weeks ago but things may be changing there.
    For weeks this is what you've seen if you went to the site ...........
    "The CRIA threatened the company renting the servers to us, and because of this it is not possible to keep the site online. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your understanding.

We have brought online a forum in order to help the community stay together. This forum is not file sharing related in any way, it's just a mean to help the community stay together - please read the forum rules before posting"

and as of yesterday it has changed to ..........

" The site is currently down.
    If you wish to visit the forum created to keep the community together, click here to continue.

Please note that the forum is NOT FILE SHARING RELATED IN ANY WAY.
    Please read the rules before posting."

those two words "currently down" hint that it might not be the end, or am I clutching at straws.

7. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

So true. Using P2P I can access tons of music and books unavailable for purchase/rental.

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

More and more torrents these days are becomming a dissapointment, for example. I tried a dozen different torrents to download Alien vs Predator Requiem, before I downloaded one that actually didnt need a password :ninja: A password that you could only get by signing up to some bogus lottery site or worse, and in the end downloaded nearly 10GB and still couldnt play the damn movie, cause of a missing codec :doubt: even though I have K-Lite Codec pack (latest version) and DiVX installed. <snipped > Also theres the torrents that claim to be one thing, and when you've downloaded x amount of MB its something entirely different :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i always stream movies, i've got links for about 100 sites that host them :cool: streaming is far better because it only uses one download connection, whereas torrents use 1000s and 1000s, you get to watch the movie straight away instead of waiting for it to download :cautious: i never use torrents, they're a waste of time and bandwidth!

10. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Yes, that is true. Streaming is the way to go, byt the way, when a movie is fully streamed, it can be saved on HDD. :)
    I would be willing to pay for watching streaming movies, but those antipiracy companies are just too backward thinking.

P.S.: P2P uses about 50-80% internet's bandwith in the world. So save the world, save the internet. Do not use p2p. [​IMG]

11. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

@iceni & The Tom: I´m using torrents but I agree that even if I have a fast connection it wont do me any good since I have to wait for hours while downloading a highQ movie. I would like to know what sites are there that handles streaming movies. Could you please post or PM me some links to those sites, it would be great and the perfect start on this new year :)

/C.

12. waters

waters Registered Member

Private sites are the best,Dermonoid being one of them.I now use Usenet and only have to download and not upload.I am in the Uk and it is uploading that is illegal.

13. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Since i got into usenet im real happy. It's got alot of choice. No malware, at least not run into one by downloading binaries. There's the occasional text spam but just don't download/open those and you're fine. Downloading a movie in case of an fine quality xvid takes me 3 minutes. A dvd takes me about 35 minutes. The only downside for some is if you haven't got a proper newsserer acces from your isp youll need to pay for one but you could always share an account with a mait.

About piracy, I ussually download cult movies wich i never heard of before or not run into videostores and shops. I end up buying what i like. I think being able to go download whatever you want can work as advertisement as well.

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Questions about streaming movies: wouldnt it need to occasionally buffer or does it play smoothly all the way through? and hows the quality compare to a dvd rip?

15. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

No need to download anything:

hxxp://www.ovguide.com/

16. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Danke! ;)

/C.

17. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    True, so very true. Go find Hungarian, Czech, Yugoslav movies in the stores.
    Mrk

18. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yup, there´s the media industry´s response, to put out fake files hoping that people will stop downloading.
    Anything that needs a password, required to download codecs (if VLC cant handle it it is a fake) or participate in some kind of lottery is fake or malicious software.
    Im not saying that media industry is submitting malware (no evidence of that) but they, or organisations with badly disguised connections to the industry, are known for submitting fake files and there are thousands of people who dont read the comments that spreads them. Just something you as a casual "pirate" (not you personally) has to live with :)

Mininova is probably legit in the country where the server is. Not that that always help (look at piratebay in sweden, US attorneys has long arms and good friends high up in some countries :) ) But if you are not allowed to download copyrighted movies for free in your country it doesnt matter if mininova is legit or not, it is you who are doing the offence.
    Mininova is as safe as any torrent site can be. Excluding private trackers. As mentioned before just read the comments and have a decent AV and you´ll be fine.

19. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

20. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

rapidshare is the way :thumb: . Go rapidshare.com and buy a premium account. After that you can find links from rapidfox.net.

21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

rapidfox :blink: the only rapid fox I've seen is one rushing away after its stolen a farmers chickens :blink:

22. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Thanks for links iceni60, now I am just gonna need a half year to sort them all out. ;)
    I have no problems with buffering Divx streamming, but eg veoh takes long time to load sometimes, but I can just pause it and wait.
    Movies are DVD rips at best, because noone would stream DVD, but new movies, mostly those in cinemas, are in CAM, TS and so on.

23. Pfipps

Pfipps Registered Member

Anyone know if Veoh tv is safe? In other words, what is it tracking when I download videos, and have there been any exploits?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.