downloading gmail emails aren't scanned

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Jonathan987, Jun 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan987

Jonathan987 Registered Member

Hi all, I'm the proud owner of Eset's Nod32 virus scanner. To date there's only one issue which I've had with Nod32 v4

When I go into Thunderbird 3.0b2 and download my gmail emails through pop3 -- the emails aren't scanned by nod32's email client protection.

In Nod32 I've added port 995 to the pop3 port to be scanned. I've also added thunderbird.exe to be scanned.

Within Thunderbird I've gone Tools->Options->"Privacy" tab->Anti-Virus->Checked the box, which states "Make it easy for anti-virus software to scan incoming messages"

Despite all this my Protection status statistics states 0 objects scanned for Email client protection.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

2. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

The client integration for Nod32 currently does not support v3 of Thunderbird, only v2. If you are downloading your mail messages through POP3 (non-SSL), they will still be scanned by the HTTP/Web Access module, so you are ok there.

3. Jonathan987

does the web access module show statistics in the email client protection statistics? if so, there hasn't been anything happening because I'm guessing the web access module isn't working :(

4. SmackyTheFrog

Looking at the gmail pop3 configuration, it turns out that you are using POP3 over SSL, which the HTTP module cannot see by default. You can enable SSL scanning with the optional SSL plugin found in the advanced options menu and the scanner will be able to see the traffic.

5. Jonathan987

wicked, it's working now -- thanks for your help!

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Just a clarification - you are not "the proud owner of Eset's..." . You are just a (proud) user of ESET NOD32 antivirus scanner.

Accourding to p.4 and 7 of the EULA (End User License Agreement) ESET gives you the right just to install/use the program , not to own it.

;)

7. pakratt

pakratt Registered Member

It appears that I have the same problem with my gmail. I cannot find the advanced option menu or the SSL plugin. Could someone tell me how to access this.

8. SmackyTheFrog

v3 does not support SSL scanning, so if you are on that version you will need to upgrade to get the new functionality. If you have v4, press F5 in the GUI to bring up the advanced configuration menu and look for Antivirus and Antispyware, Protocol Filtering, SSL.

9. pakratt

Thanks for your response. I have v3 so will have to upgrade today.
    Question: Do you have to uninstall v3 or can you just install v4 over v3?

10. SmackyTheFrog

11. pakratt

I downloaded and installed v4 over v3 with no problems. I have a few questions about the settings to use.

1. Under POP3/POP3S Filter--I have enabled POP3 protocol checking, Port 110.

2. I have enabled POP3S protocol checking for secured ports.
    Ports used by POPS protocol 995

3. Under Protocol SSL I have enabled Protocol always scan SSL. Also enabled Block encrypted communications utilizing the obsolete Protocol SSLV2

4. Some of the E-Mails that I receive show scanned by ESET and some don't. Why is this?

5. Under Statistics "EMail Client Protection" the number of "Clean Objects" changes even though I have not downloaded any mail. It has gone from 40 down to 8 and bounced around up and down. Is this statistic supposed to keep going only one way ie. up ? The scanned object: Email Message does not show any activity either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.