Downloaded file is damaged ...again :-)

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by angelo_lopes, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No, only the proxy issue with Optus in Australia.

I think it really comes down to Eset and the ISP taking to correspondance between each other to sort out what is the particular issue...

Cheers :D

2. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

I had trouble getting virus definitions on Friday, Septemeber 03, 2004. It took me about 15 manual tries to get the two seperate virus definitions. I kept getting the server failed to connect error. I am using a trial version. Besides today, it has auto updated just fine.

How are you gents getting the detailed logs for updates?

3. angelo_lopes

angelo_lopes Registered Member

Click NOD32 systray icon > Logs > Event Log.
    Right clicking one of the events gives you the chance to copy to clipboard
    HTH

4. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi VaMPiRiC_CRoW,

writing about the communication with the Portuguese ISP NetCabo:

We also have many thousands of users that doesn't have this problem.

We tried to get in touch with NetCabo, but their replies are similar as to you. Anyway, you are their client and they should give you a competent answer. So if you continue asking them - they might answer you sooner - you can help yourself - to many others - and us too. :)

Thanks, :D

jan

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Thanks

6. angelo_lopes

Jan, we don't speak with netcabo. We speak with a call center.
    They know nothing about AV, or why software is not downloading.

It's strange it is _not_ a 100% failure. I think 80-95%. Why isn't the
    downloaded file always damaged?

Why don't we have problems updating so many other software as I posted previously?

Reading previous posts, you can see this problem happens mainly (only?) with cable users. Australia, USA... Have you get in touch with companies from those other countries?

Anyway, please send me an IM with everything you need to ask and want to know from netcabo. I believe I will find between the Friends of my Friends, some VIP at netcabo. I will do my best.

Please answer us: In your opinion why does this happen with NODD32, and not
    with all the other software I mentioned previously, like other AV, Ad-Aware, TrojanHunter, etc?

Kind Regards,

7. jan

Hi Angelo,

>Anyway, please send me an IM with everything you need to ask and want to know from netcabo. I believe I will find between the Friends of my Friends, some VIP at netcabo. I will do my best.

We need to comminicate with a competent technical contact who could e.g. check logs on their servers, discuss with us the issue and eventually do some changes also on their side.

>Please answer us: In your opinion why does this happen with NODD32, and not with all the other software I mentioned previously, like other AV, Ad-Aware, TrojanHunter, etc?

This is just an assumption: It's possible that when somebody updates NOD through a transparent proxy then NOD behaves differently than the other programs. We need to find out why is it so - we may need do some changes on our side - maybe the ISP also needs to do some changes - but - as I wrote - it needs to communicate with a technical contact at NetCabo. It's very difficult to get to them through the Call Center, or via e-mail - especially if we are not their clients.

I believe that you Angelo and VaMPiRiC_CRoW can help us and also to the other people having this problem.

Thanx, :)

jan

Last edited: Sep 7, 2004
  8. angelo_lopes

Try this number: +351 808 200 400 (blue # - local call). +351 stands for Portugal. I picked this up from http://www.tvcabo.pt/comum_contactos.asp. It's Netcabo's Commercial Service and hopefully they will forward you to the correct department. All the other numbers forward you to call centers.
    Regarding Netcabo, here's their "Who we are": http://www.tvcabo.pt/comum_English.asp
    I am not Netcabo's client either. I recommended NOD32 to Netcabo's clients, so it's also "my problem". I will do my best. Please start here and keep us current.
    You are always wellcome :)

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

How the resolution of this problem goes?

10. jan

Hi,

>How the resolution of this problem goes?

I called the numbers to NetCabo and TvCabo which Angelo gave me:

+351 22 422 7700
    +351 21 422 7700
    +351 21 791 4800

asked to connect not to the call center, but to the NetCabo technical department - they told me either that is not possible, or they will connect me - then a I listened a nice music a couple of minutes :) and nothing. Anyway, we are not their customer, so I again kindly ask their customers - e.g. VaMPiRiC_CRoW to continue asking them - I believe they will answer when they will be asked often.

Good luck :)

jan

11. Blackspear

Angelo_lopes and VaMPiRiC_CRoW, are you able to get hold of an email address that could be used to begin correspondence?

Just a thought...

12. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It's incredible that in Portugal we have such a bad company to support its clients... It's a shame...

I'm not in home now, but tonight I will try to send an email with my register number to see what can I get from them...

13. Blackspear

Cheers VC, let us know how you go...

14. angelo_lopes

Blackspear:
    When we send an e-Mail to netcabo we get a reply confirming e-Mail's reception. By this point correspondence is over.
    They also have a forum on their site. Should you read portuguese, you would see "everybody" claiming and writing DUMP netcabo. Dictactors is what they are. And Panda's friends.
    <off-topic>
    Yesterday night I read the interview Ruben Dias, Panda's General Manager in Portugal, gave to Semana Informática magazine. He spoke about TruePrevent technology and said "No anti-virus in the world is able to protect PCs if the virus is unknown"!! Did he never hear about heuristics?
    </off-topic>

Jan:
    Thank you for your efforts. Better give up with netcabo. And I write again: I am not speaking about server connection errors, (more usual then one could expect though). I am speaking about "Downloaded file is damaged", and this does not happen only with Portuguese's netcabo's customers. It happens with other countries users. Why don't you "explore" this situation with foreign ISP's?

Kind regards,

15. Blackspear

Yes I know, I tried emailing, and that's as far as I got as well... :(

16. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I already sent an email to NetCabo, and now I will wait for a reply...

17. Blackspear

Cheers VC, let us know how you go...

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Unfortunately I always had this problem, and it seems that I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel that show me that this problem will be resolved... :(

It is the most annoying issue that I have from ESET...

I just can't install the NOD32 and forget it...

I had to enable the others warnings email notification of NOD32 to see when a download is damaged and then try to download the updates manually, sometime withou sucess...

Very bad for me... :(

19. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Ia a monopoly that company, why u dont move to other company?

20. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

It happens to me frequently, manually or automatically. Just try downloading the file again and it should work. :)

21. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Are you talking about changing of AV or ISP?

22. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Don't you think that it would be better if NOD32 works like all the other programs?

I only have this problem with NOD32...

23. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Im talking about the ISP. If their behaviour is like this, better to think to go to other company.

24. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

At this moment I can't make that, maybe I can in the future...

But it would be nice if ESET correct the problem in their servers...

25. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.