Download speeds fast until scan by NOD32

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by vizhip, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

Greets -

Running V4.0.437.0 of ESET Anti-virus on VISTA Home Premium with SP1.

When I download files from any site, I have blazing download speeds until the file hits that magic 99% mark where ESET scans it as it is being copied to its final destination... I have seen files sit in this mode for 5 times as long as it took to download the other 99% of the file from the internet...

Any ideas how this speed can be improved upon o_O

Regards -
    -Bob

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

You may want to set size limits for archives and sfx archives both in the web access and real-time protection setup so that larger archives are not scanned internally unless extracted.

4. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

Thanks... that appears to be the problem...

and this works in 3.0.11 as well... that is... removal of automatic virus scan after download...

It really doesn't make sense to scan the same download multiple times...

Appreciate the help...

Regards -
    -Bob

5. vizhip

vizhip Registered Member

I tend to exclude the ISO files and other files that are 300MB or larger... I also have a folder that I ignore... and once an archive has passed a month of scans and is no longer being actively used, I move it to the folder and that seems to speed up my weekly scans...

I hadn't thought of setting it so that it would ignore the larger download files...

Thanks for the assistance and ideas...

Regards -
    -Bob

6. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

Doesn't this make your computer less secure?
    I mean, changing the NOD32 v.4 default settings just to address a high utilization of the CPU after 99% of downloads have been completed.

Wouldn't be easier if ESET just fix this bug? [to me, this is a bug] because not all AV's I've tested recently show this kind of behavior upon completing a file download.

Kind regards,

Carlos

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I have already explained in in another thread. Of course, setting any limit would affect detection capabilities. Only if one minds the delays, they can set a reasonable size limit for scanning archives and rely on the real-time protection which would detect potential threats upon extraction. Of course, we don't recommend setting any limits which provides best security.

By analogy, we could ask why the Internet provider doesn't fix the speed issue so that large ISO images are downloaded in seconds. Hopefully you understand that it's not a fault of ESET that it takes time to scan large archives. The thing is the whole archive must be extracted to the disk and subsequently each file is scanned.

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Not for not scanning archives. Whatever malware there might be is just sitting and can sit there forever until an attempt to access it and then Eset hits it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.