Download Interupts issue resolved

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by bradtech, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradtech

bradtech Guest

I believe I have finally found a resolution for my internal update server. A problem would happen where everyone would get download interupts, and I would have to clear the update cache through ERA. As soon as I did this, the problem would go away.. I have setup a V4.0 Business Edition client on that same server to host internal update via HTTP. This seems to be working after a week without any issues.

2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Weird the build-in http server on the NOD32 client works differently (or even better) then ERAS http module.

Didn't you say you had solved it last time cause your proxy server was giving troubles?

I personally never had to clear updates on server at my locations, but those networks are all SMB and dont have more then 50 workstations. Seems ERAS only shows issue's when a lot of clients are updating from it.

3. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Problem came back.. I thought I had fixed it with that option but it started all over again.. I even uninstalled ERA completely and updated to the newest version..

I have 1200 clients atm

4. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Just hung up again... The eHTTPSrv was using 50% of CPU and everyone was getting download interrupts. Argh!!I ended the service, and it started back up.. Wow now 99% of CPU

5. bradtech

bradtech Guest

6. bradtech

bradtech Guest

7. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Seems you really have too much clients for the update service to handle. Should be a known issue, it has been reported a couple of times already.

Whats your update interval at clients? Maybe setting it to 2 hours or more helps reduce the load on the service. I also have 'disconnect from server after update' enabled in advanced update settings on the client. Although I don know if that helps with http mirror update (Which I do use).

You can also try this KB article about using ISS as update server if you haven't tried that already. One member here used that and said it worked out for him.

Have you also tried setting up the clients to update from a smb share? I just set one client up using that to test it out and it seems to work perfectly, and it doesn't add any service at all.

8. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Do you have a link to setup SMB? I am going back to trying the Remote Admin HTTP Service since the client cannot handle the load, and the services hangs the entire server.

9. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

This KB article describes how (Last 6 steps, under 'To configure the Mirror as a shared network folder, perform these steps:' -Should be pointed out better!)

Basicly you just have to make a share (EsetMirror), point ERAS to update to that share (\\Server\EsetMirror\) and point your clients to '\\Server\EsetMirror\'.
    Share just needs read rights. Additionally, to 'secure' the share you can make it a hidden share, and/or make a special 'eset' user who only has read rights and setup NOD32 clients to connect as that user to the LAN.

10. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Download Interrupts Solution

I have been having issues with clients getting download interrupt via HTTP internally.. I have around 1500-2000 clients downloading from this server.. Clients will start getting download interrupt, and turn to orange notifying the user they are no longer getting updates..

I have quit using the internal HTTP updater with the newest build of Remote Administrator, and turned to using the NOD32 Client update mirror. It works better, instead of having to clear update cache daily it will last longer plus it led me to find what the underlying issue is.

The service will hang at 100% at times, and needs to be restarted periodically. In the mean time I have written a simple batch file that I will have automated to Stop, and Start the service. Here is a sample of it for people looking for the same solution. Place this to run periodically through task scheduler in 2003 server.

@echo off
    REM - File: ehttpsrv.bat
    REM - Description: Restart's ESET NOD32s eHTTP Service in 4.0
    REM - Author: Bradtech
    echo Restarting NOD32 Update Mirror...
    echo ======================================================
    net stop "eHttpSrv"
    net start "eHttpSrv"
    echo ======================================================
    echo NOD32 Update Mirror has Started Downloads resumed

11. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Re: Download Interrupts Solution

Arr... Your still having difficulties with this?? Atleast you have some kind of solution for it now :).

Cant you try to use a windows share as mirror? (I believe I have suggested that before to you.) You can easily set it up with ERA.

And the IIS HTTP mirror? Or that one doesn't work for you? It should run good according to older post here on Wilders, I haven't seen complaints about it since that solution also was posted on ESET KB. But I cant tell myself if it works good or not..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.