Download Accelerators

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mismis29, Aug 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TylerGred

TylerGred Registered Member

I want one that works with Mozilla.

2. Ailric

Ailric Guest

3. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

yes very good download manager
    freedownloadmanager
    it boasts of features even some paid ones lack off..

4. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

mismis 29 i doubt whether you will get a speed increase than what you got with idm..imho its the fastest one..i have tried loads of download managers and for sheer speed idm is the best..but it lacks other features...

5. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

Clansman: I agree that IDM is quite good. One thing I do like about it, is that it has browser integration. I also enjoy the right-click feature that gives you the options of either downloading one link or all links on a page.

I am always cautious about using so-called "freeware" ( i.e Free Download Manager), just because there is always a risk that it contains adware/spyware.

I suppose I should just purchase IDM, but I wanted to try some others before deciding.

Anyway, thanks everyone for all of your suggestions. :D

6. Ailric

Ailric Guest

No spyware in FDM or WellGet.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Have been using FDM for months, there is absolutely no spyware in it.

8. mismis29

mismis29 Registered Member

:mad: Well, I've been trying out FreshDownload, and I have to say that I really don't like it at all.

I specify a folder in which I want my download to go, and I've found that FreshDownload does not put it where I want it to go. In fact, 99% of the time, the download can't be found anywhere! Also, I find that if my download does happen to make it into the folder that I specify, when I delete the completed download from the FreshDownload window, the actual file that I just downloaded is also deleted from the folder! It is extremely frustrating when this happens, especially after waiting 3-4 hrs for 289MB file to download, and have it completely disappear!! The only trace of anything that I download with FreshDownload, is in the temp folder of FreshDownload; these files are only the bits and pieces of each download.

Anyway, with all of that said, I really don't like this download manager, and would not recommend it to anyone.

Sorry.

9. AXIS

AXIS Registered Member

how abt flash get
    i need a Download Accelerator tht iz easy 2 use fast & takes a ltl meomry from pc
    bye axis

10. yousif

yousif Guest

Im yousif I went Download

11. yousif

yousif Guest

yousif ali

Im yousif ali Im 11

12. umm.....

moderator action should follow.... good funny spam. Havent seen this in ages. So many boards are 'perfectly normal' these days.

Download managers.

GetRight : Suspected spyware

Download Accelerator : Proper spyware

neither is actually freeware.

the best of the bunch, if one were to see features/ease of use/smarts/UI/everything...

Free Download Manager.

WHY? Download a version and find out... no better explanation than an engineer's... don't worry HOW it works, you just make sure that it DOES work.

note: There was ONE spyware bundled version ONCE. The immense negative feedback forced the Developers to retract it and NO SPYWARE HAS RESURFACED.

Also, there is a small banner on the top right exhorting you to get custom builds. Click on it. Promote yourself.

About the others... MOST are either *infested* or shareware. FDM is the best of the bunch right now. just like HTTrack is the best website copier and beats even the Pro/enterprise/whatver versions of SOO many famed website copiers :)

13. TNT

TNT Registered Member

Are you sure about this? I've never heard of it including spyware.
    Yes, this one has been including spyware for some time. Don't know about now, but I definitely wouldn't use it.

14. So sure it hurts. Getright isn't really made for helping users IMO. The clunky UI just puts me off.

BTW. Despite it's claims in the 'Options' area, FDM will not work with Opera. Probably there is a couple of steps to be followed, but then again, Opera's download manager is good enough for me.

and a PS about FDM:- read all the 'options' screens twice or thrice. and also, try to change the 'downloaded file' path of ONE file AFTER you have copmpleted downloading it ;)

and a warning... if your downloads list beomes too large (500+) and you don't clean it up... don't blame anyone if FDM crashes and your entire download history is lost. It's an issue, yes, but it's easily workable. Delete all entries of completed downloads. You've been forewarned.

15. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Another vote for Free Download Manager. I went through trying many free ones and found it to be the neatest, easiest to use, but the slick UI does it for me other anything else, as nearly I have the basic features require.

16. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

I have been using 'Download Express' for a couple of years now, which works ok, simple to use, 100% free and no spyware. Dont know if it works with Firefox though, as I use IE.

17. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

This is their No Spyware statement.:)

18. There ya go... :)
    I stand corrected [ I seriously hope ].

Haven't used this in a while, so I guess I won't say anything more than what I said before. I think I'll just say FDM is good enough for me.

Tried. Tested. Works.

Just make a shortlist and give all of them a trial. Who knows, maybe you'll like Download Acceleretor Plus of all things :O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.