Downadup/ Conficker worm versus HIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This is "just-posted" beta. Beta 17 only showed execution alert and if allowed computer was infected.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

From where I can get it?

Thanks

3. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

Yes sir it did ;)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      229.5 KB
      Views:
    • 29.jpg
      29.jpg
      File size:
      238.8 KB
      Views:
  4. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

At the moment I think there are the only 2 options

1.) to ask Mike to provide you a link
    2.) to join OA betateam

But I guess the new release is coming soon (the public beta released some time ago is a sign). It also may happen Mike will post another public beta.

I'd like to provide you with the link, but I'm not sure I'm authorized to.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have analyzed it more and it,s very interesting. OA people have intercepted it cleverly now so that user will not be fooled. Actually once malicious dll( vmx) is executed, u can see that all malicious activities are done by svchost.exe that is a legit windows process.

11.jpg 22.jpg
    33.jpg
    44.jpg 55.jpg

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Now Q is that who forces a legit application svchost.exe to do all this. I am not an expert but the obvious reason is that it is done by malicious jwgkvsq.vmx via rundll32.exe. Now CFP just intercepts it as an action by rundll32.exe that one will not guess to be malicious( rundll32.exe accessing svchost.exe in memory).
    While OA being clever clearly tells user that it is being done infact by jwgkvsq.vmx ( jwgkvsq.vmx accessing svchost.exe in memory). :thumb:

1.jpg
    12.gif
    14.gif

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So it,s a closed beta. Ok, I will wait for the public release. :)

Thanks

8. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'd definitely give this round to OA. I hope the new version fixes some of the bugs.

9. tlu

tlu Guest

You're assuming correctly, provided that the default permissions aren't tampered - see this post.

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Malware Defender has same problem as CFP. :mad:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      65.7 KB
      Views:
  11. tlu

tlu Guest

Do you use XP Pro or Home? If the Home version - have you made sure that SRP works by applying pcwXPProme? (See also this post.)

12. chris2busy

i am on win vista buisiness edition.group policies are at their maximum capabilities and even further developed than on xp pro.

13. chris2busy

yes my friend,but we escape the subject...lets revise.

we popped a thumb drive in a computed environment and we got a warning that a .dll was auto executed and it tries to modify legitimate processes of your OS..now thats just not right,is it? :D

what i am trying to say is that H.I.P.S is no there to tell you what to do,its there to tell you what the malware does so YOU can decide what you should do.

in the end of the day,the decision is still up to the user. e.g if you run on vista,you are immune to that threat,but if you decide to give elevated privilage to a file that run itself,oh well :D not anything else will save you,i'll tell you that :D

OA does that because it overall has a marketing goal contrary to classical hips,thus it uses that great whitelisting database and makes its warnings a little bit more self explainatory for the average user.
    Cheers
    P.S this is one of the few such informative threads i've seen for a while!

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm... only OA,s alert is good. Others alert about rundll32 acessing svchost.exe, both are legit, why one wil stop it. Infact when u are using a HIPS, u will make a permannat allow rule for this behavior very soon after u get this alert few times on benign legit actvities.

OA was same as others but just after they came to know it, they added a way to intercept it in a better way. I want atleast same from others( CFP, MD etc) but I am not sure if I can convince them. :mad:

15. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Gents,

The new OA beta also protects against raw disk access. I have not used OA for quiet a while, I can remember I needed the run safer option to be protected against raw disk access.

Aigle,

Thanks for these kinds of post. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

and chris2busy for being not to busy (and able to participate :thumb: )

16. chris2busy

my bad,i meant that rundll32 tried to execute and unknown file(see pic)..but even if you didn't you still see svchost.exe writing files to sys restore and modifying a bunch of registry entries

to be honest i didn't use OA before version 2.x.x so i cannot comment on that but at its current state it sure is one of the most friendly h.i.p.s out there!
    maybe you should ask xiaolin first,from his posts i see that he pays a lot of attention to what his customers think :)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      242.8 KB
      Views:
  17. chris2busy

enjoyed being a part of it mate :) cheers

P.S:do not watch that moovie in the taskbar >.> was awfull

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

What is a real mistery to me is that OA intercepts intrusions of programs being kept in a policy sandbox of GeSWall. Most other security programs do not notice these interceptions because geSWall contains it first.

Only OA throws pop-ups.

From a security point of view this is a real benefit of OA, for me I kind of dislike it. The whole idea behind policy HIPS/Sandbox is that they are quiet. Now when you use MD together with Dw or GW, it works perfect.

Cheers

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

that is exactly what i have;)

20. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

How would the CIS beta handle the request, I wonder? I assume rundll is likely in the whitelist, so would the malicious process ever be seen?

21. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Now that Comodo prompt looks better. :thumb:

22. aigle

aigle Registered Member

My screenshots are with latest beta.

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Can anybody test :

- PS
    - DW
    - PRSC &
    - Mamutu

Thanks

24. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Could you elaborate on this?

I thought that with SRP, all folders except C:\Windows and C:\Program Files are prevented from executing programs. I know that since things like browser cache are stored in the user account folder in Documents+Settings so they're typically safe.

Although I could swear seeing the Recycler folder before, I can't seem to find it at the moment.

25. Mosqu

Mosqu Registered Member

It shouldn't be that hard to convince them, since messages like "rundll32 is trying to..." or "svchost.exe is trying to..." are quite useless to make reasonable decisions. I really was wondering, how all the "experts" do that. I even had a vain look into CIS's proccess manager, if there are more informations about that processes. So I'm glad to see, that I'm not the only one with that problem. :D Has anyone talked about this in the Comodo Forum or added it to the wishlist?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.