Doublick and serious privacy issues

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Fly, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I just started taking a look at the issue of Doubleclick vs. privacy, and (about) the first result I found was this link:

http://www.news.com/2100-1023-236092.html

I know, it's old (year 2000), but there it says:

'Having sealed its purchase of a direct marketing company, DoubleClick has begun signing up sites to create a network that will tie Web surfers' travels with their personal information and shopping habits--online and off.
    The leading Web advertising company plans to build a database of consumer profiles that will include each user's "name, address, retail, catalog and online purchase histories, and demographic data," according to the company's new privacy policy. '

Name AND address ? I don't know what information they currently have, if that quote still applies (I have McAfee, which generously shares information with Doubleclick) they have my name and address !

I just wanted to state that that is a VERY SERIOUS privacy violation.
    I'm sure they also have my IP, host name/computer name, and LOTS of other information. And they share that information, information gets leaked ...

There are many ways Doubleclick collects data, not using the wrong security software and a proper hosts file and 'correct' cookie settings (remember, third-party cookies can be treated as first-party cookies) can go a long way. But maybe you also need to block their web bugs ("beacons").

I just find it bothersome, and it's sad that few people are bothered by this.

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Did you know that your local grocery store with those club cards are also tracking customer expenditures and their spending patterns to track how you shop at their store? And who knows if they share that information about your account with them with other firms? :doubt:

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

They don't track me :)

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Then I guess you are paying full price? ;)

5. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yea, one has to read all these privacy statements now. Before long all you will have time for is to read privacy polices of the gatherers. :cautious:

6. HURST

HURST Registered Member

A few months ago I made an internship in my country's biggest retail company. They can keep track of everything. But the amount of data is so incredibly high that they only use the averages and the totals, they don't do analysis of every single customer (YET)... So for now I'm not that concerned... things can (and most likely will) change in the future, when computers become more powerfull...

They do keep track of the total spent by each costumer who uses their card, for the "frequent costumer" programs.

7. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Nope ;)

8. reparsed

reparsed Registered Member

• Trade cards with friends or use found cards.
    • Use the card but don't fill out the info sheet, or fill it out with bad info.
    • Tell the cashier you forgot your card and ask if you could use the card they keep at the register.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.