doubleclick cookies

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by tj, Oct 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm... Internet Sweeper DOES clean the index.dat file, but to do this you have to set it to restart your computer to delete files in use.

2. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Detox
    I realized that ok ;) thanx, it might be the same with other cleaning tools I think.

3. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hello everyone, Apparently Internet Sweeper works on some computers, but not all. Running Win98SE, IE6.0SP1 here, sweeper does not work for me as far as cleaning index.dat as comparing file size shows no change. Run a search here on the forum and you will see other people also have problems. I use xcleaner and it reduces the size everytime, also after reboot. Curiously, when I installed the 1.8.4 version of IS it worked 2 out of the first 3 tries, and has not cleaned index.dat since! As near as I can tell, it does everything else as advertised. Wish I knew why because I would prefer to use IS only. Just my observations for anyone interested.

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

And you do have "delete files that are in use when windows restarts" checked? I'm not trying to be mean or a smartass, just being sure, because it really took me forever to figure out that would clean the index.dat file... It seems to always totally delete the file for me, I use the old 1.8.1 version...

5. Vietnam Vet

Hi Detox, yes I do check that option when trying to clean index.dat and with 1.8.3 version, it would work once in a while. Tried again last night with 1.8.4-no joy. :'( Maybe I will revert back to the version you are using and see what happens. Any advice and help offered is always appreciated. We all may need help every now and then, especially me! :) Thanks for being willing.

6. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hey no prob for sure; I'll start checking my cookies folder after using IESweeper and see if it's really doing it every time or not...

7. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Krusty - This is from the cookiem.txt that comes with Cookie Muncher:

"PLEASE READ THIS..... FAQ

I get many questions asking about the cookies in the
    temporary internet files folder. These are NOT cookies.
    They are pointers to the cookies in the cookies folder.
    Similer to shortcuts. Cookies are deleted by cookie muncher.
    They do nothing once the cookie has been deleted and will
    be removed by normal cache cleanup operations, or can be deleted
    by you using windows explorer. (See Below)"

You can read the rest, the point here is that what you're seeing in the Temp Internet folder isn't the cookies (which CM deletes a half-second after their arrival) - it's the cookie pointers , which can't do anything.

You can easily verify this by checking C/Windows/Cookies (for IE).

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well I chcked a few times and the file isn't gone like I THOUGHT I remembered but it is 32k each time... So far :)

9. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Ghost

Got it !
    I started using "Opera" and studying how to use it. Hmmm. Can´t get hotmail yet, Opera cookies enabled....still negative.

Have a nice saturday -Ari

10. Vietnam Vet

Hi Detox, just to clarify to make sure we are on the same page, index.dat in the cookie folder stays at 32k as I don't accept ANY new cookies. I keep 7 cookies which accounts for this size. If I delete these cookies and clean index.dat file will be reduced to 16kb. Cannot remember if sweeper cleaned this file for sure or not, will recheck if I ever get caught up again. File my problem is with is in C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5. This file will reduce to 32k when cleaned with x-cleaner, but does not change in size when cleaned with internet sweeper (176kb presently). This file is only visible on my system by searching, highlighting, and opening the containing folder. If you just open the folder, the file is not visible. Could this have some bearing on IS's inability to clean index.dat? By the way, I have not had a chance to retry older version of IS yet, but it is still on the agenda. Need more hours in the day, know of any software to fix that? :doubt:

11. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Another option for IE6 users to handle cookies using the privacy option and trusted sites that I have found very effective is a Custom XML Import File.

For more details: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main.htm

You will find particulars under IE6 Tools.

A good one to start with is the 4d-s file from the short list while you explore the multitude of other options.

12. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

anyone notice that tj hasn't been back and

why not just block doubleclick.net and doubleclick.com in the IE internet option's privacy area?

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Vet...

Hmm in my Windows/Localsettings there is only one folder, and that is "application data"

is this the saem spot you are looking at?

I am also supposed to have some cookies saved (like this forum) but it doesn't work, I still hafta login each time, but I don't mind so never looked any closer...

14. Vietnam Vet

Same spot, yes, and I have that folder as well. In the, for lack of a better description, normal temporary internet files folder nothing shows except a folder identified as content.ie5 and a desktop.ini file. Inside the content.ie5 folder there is another desktop.ini file(different size). If I recall correctly, there used to be 4 folders identified by several letters , none of which actually spell anything. After running IS for the first time, after a reformat for instance, do not see these folders again. Never any temporary internet files in the temporary internet files folder either. Also used to be an index.dat there also, which goes at the IS scan as well. The following appears in a startup list scan C:\WINDOWS\WININIT.BAK listing:
    (Created 16/11/2002, 0:57:40)

[Rename]
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5\INDEX.DAT
    NUL=C:\WINDOWS\LOCALS~1\TEMPOR~1\CONTENT.IE5\INDEX.DAT Is this all connected to IS's inability to clean the index.dat? I will leave that up to someone with more experience than I have.

15. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hmm I'll look again in the morning cause I'm tired and on my way to bed now, but I don't think I have any of these files you are mentioning really; other than the "regular" temp internet files folder.. What version of IE do you have? 5.0? or 5.5?

I'm afraid I'm no expert on IS really either; if nothing comes up to help you answer your question here it may be wise to make a thread in the IS section of the forum.

16. Vietnam Vet

Running IE6.0SP1. I think those other folders started appearing with IE5.5, but do not really recall for sure. Remember reading about them somewhere. Hey, this is not a problem to lose sleep over. Just asked in case someone had experienced this and knew why. Appreciate you taking the time to help. By the way, Is did clean index.dat last night. o_O I still try it occasionally. Anyway thanks again.

17. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hehe not losing sleep I just checked the forum pretty late last night ;-)

Sure don't understand why you have these ie5 folders though...
    I use 5.5 and can't find them on my machine!

18. Ghost

Ghost Guest

VV - Can you verify whether you are running xxx.bat, found here: http://www.markusjansson.net/eienbid.html (look for eng.exe under the "Solving the Index.dat files dilemma" heading).

If you're not, try it out and please let us know the results.

19. Ghost

Ghost Guest

Also, can you confirm for me that W98 does/doesn't have 'Active Desktop', because I know that when you start switching between DeskTop view modes, files start getting placed in new locations.

(Can't find the M$ reference to that right now, maybe someone else can - I do know that I had the issue myself a long time ago (CookieMuncher quit working properly) and that it was absolute hell to get it figured out and corrected until i found out about the above location-switch with the funny file names).

20. Vietnam Vet

Hi Ghost, checked out the link, and unless I misunderstand, this app will delete my cookies as well and I really don't want to do that. Sometimes a week or more before getting back to some of the sites I frequent and without the cookie in place, it gets a little aggravating trying to pick up where I left off. Is there a particular reason you wanted me to try this? As I stated x-cleaner will clean index.dat for me. Thought maybe there is something else you are trying to check other than being able to clean these files. While on that site, read about disabling the netbios. Renamed vnbt.386 as instructed and all seems well. Before this, in TDS3's netstat screen it would show 137,138.139 listening but never connecting. They do not show up now. At the shieldsup check, zonealarm always did it's job as well as with these apparently unending probes at 137 going on. Any comments on this as to why or why not I should rename vnbt.386. As to active desktop, yes win98se does have this and it stays on always. To the best of my knowledge, no probs with files getting moved around. If you are referring to the wierd named folders in temporary internet files folder and the local settings folder being where my temp internet files are stored, do a google and you will see that I am not alone in this respect. I know what you are saying and maybe active desktop is causing my problem, but if IS being unable to clean index.dat is the only side effect, I will live with that. Thanks for the info and any future knowledge you may have to share.

21. Vietnam Vet

Totally off topic: Why do my posts look so out of whack as compared to most others? :'( Looks fine when I am typing, but after posting, well you can see what I mean. Anyone tell this rookie what he is doing wrong? :oops:

22. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Vietnam_Vet,

It looks like your posts have a large number of spaces where you seem to want to create a new paragraph. Are you using some special tools to compose the posts or are you actually using spaces instead of hitting the Enter key to start a new line?

The size of the composing window is of course different than how the message is displayed, so they can look different when you post them.

23. Vietnam Vet

Now it doesn't get much simpler than that!

Guess you know the answer to your question already, LowWaterMark, thanks.

While I have been lurking around this and other forums for quite some time, never posted much. What can I say, just didn't know.

24. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

No worries. :D

And, we're glad to have you posting. Thanks for contributing!!

Best Wishes,
    LowWaterMark

25. Vietnam Vet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.