Double Barrel Uh-Oh

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by COSMO26, Oct 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

Where is best help place? Lost Win Me System Restore ( no Chk Points made/ Makes Manual Chk Pt Date BUT it doesn't restore a .txt file saved to Desktop via NotePad. AND I cannot get Start Thread screen on MS Me Newsgroup to ask question but DO get Reply screen . Got New Thread screen with FireFox but question arrived jumbled (format issue). When I attempted to REPLY to first answer via IE6 it TOO arrived as jumbled characters & they think I'm just being a sloppy typist. Had previously corrected Restore with MS 290700 DnLoad but it's quit again - - smgr.dll / Windows/System is correct ver 4.90.0.3003. All apps up-to-date. Belarc list matches MS list for updates. 600 MB allotted for Restore; Disable Restore Box NOT Chk'd. No Error Msg's . Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. COSMO26

Thanks, GlobalForce. The first recommended solution is $9.95/mo; I'd pay $10 for a known fix but am not sure about getting stuck w/monthly fee. Can't seem to find my scenario where No Error Msg occurs but Restore won't make auto Chk Point NOR Restore a saved / then Deleted file re: Test. Anyone else have an idea. ALSO, what about NOT being able to Start a Thread on Win Me Newsgroup AND my text being JUMBLED when sending a REPLY (that screen does come up / START a Thread will Not. ) Thanks to all who help.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried placing your Windows CD in the CDROM drive, click start > run, type in CMD, when the black window opens type in "sfc /scannow"

SFC (System File Checker, a part of Windows File Protection) will replace any changed/damaged system files with a clean copy. SFC may not solve every problem, but it's a good start that anyone can do.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Sounds like you stopped at "sign up to see the solution". My reply states, "scroll down past the ads".
    I'm not sure just "how" specific your issue is, but I don't suggest to anyone a paid service.
    I avoided a direct link from the page as not to discredit Experts-Exchange (IMO, one of the best solution sites)
    and offer you the opportunity to decide for yourself.

Most places on the web require registration. Some are for a fee, but most are not. I didn't check if thats the case.
    If there's a fee to register, just google for another support group and look at their membership policy.....

If those sites weren't of any help, you might take Blackspear up on his suggestion.
    No worries... :cool:

GF

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  6. COSMO26

To: GlobalForce & Blackspear: GlobalF, sorry for sloppy reading. Blackspear: Inserted [Dell supplied] Win Me Re-Install CD; When I type CMD in RUN box, I get "Windows Cannot Find File". What am I missing? MANY THANKS to U Both!! Edited 10-28: Didn't realize a Restore Test with a [.txt.] file is uselless as Restore doesn't Monitor [.txt] files. Used Shortcut on DeskTop & Proved It Works. No Daily CheckPoints are made but That's OK. I have been blocked from entering MS Me News/Help Groups via "Cannot Find Requested Page". Turns out IE6 Tools-Privacy-Advanced "Override Auto Cookie Handling" WAS GRAYED OUT. I changed back to Custom Settings and was able to Post on Chat Group. FYI to anyone who has same experience. Thanks again to all for responding!!

Last edited: Oct 28, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.