dos command

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Logan5, Jan 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hi,

I am not at home and my pc bit the dust. So I am trying to talk my wife thru the reformat process / reinstallation of the OS (WinMe on a Dell PC).

My PC won't boot up, even in safe mode (scandisk try’s to load and then locks up). Some kind of FAT and or registry error. If I try to boot up in normal mode the Pc gives us a registry error and then shuts itself off. So I figured lets reformat. But from the "A" drive (using the boot disk) it will not allow me to format drive "c". I get a ""insufficient memory to load system files". So I figured I would just path over to the "c" drive and do the format command (format c:).

But nothing I do gets me to the "c" drive. Can anyone please explain to me how I can boot my pc up so I can get to a dos mode so I can get to the "c" drive. I have tried a couple dos commands but no luck. Is it possible that the hard drive is so bad that I can no longer get to the "c" drive (it is making really loud and weird noises).

Thanks
    Logan

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

A:> C:
    C:> A:\Format C:

A:> Format C:

:rolleyes:

3. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hi,

And thanks but none of those worked. I boot off the start up disk and end up at the "a" drive. I get the error "insufficient memory to load system files" when trying to do the format command from the "a" drive. And nothing I do will path me over to the "c" drive.

I was hoping there was a way to boot up my pc and have it come up on the "c" drive itself. Not sure why I cannot path from "a" to "c" but it just won't do it. Perhaps the hard drive is just too far gone.

Thanks again,
    Logan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.