Don't use RVS on XP, unless ...

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by CloneRanger, Apr 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@Coldmoon

Hi,

Never thought it wasn't ;)

Good for them :thumb:

You can say that again :(

Not to some people :blink:

Very good to hear :thumb:

Not very good to hear :thumbd:

Sounds like you can't find the problem, after ALL this time, and maybe never will :( I'm extreme surprised, and dissapointed by this, as i know are others, but if you can't fix it, who can ?

Hope you won't forget XP'ers, we won't forget you, we love ya, but not the SR probs.

2. ManDate

ManDate Registered Member

To Mike From Returnil Re: Don't use RVS on XP, unless ...

Hi, Mike,

I'm glad that Returnil is working on the System Restore problem caused by Returnil. Personally, I think that it is a big and serious issue that I have with Returnil.

In your post, you said ... "Hi CR, We are working on it. One point you need to keep in mind however, is that when used as intended, System Restore points become redundant at best and only repairs Windows system files in the event of corruption or exploitation. And with the latter, it has been shown to be weak at best; especially with many of the new types of rouges and Trojans."

I think that "System Restore points do not become redundant at best". I can backup my data on other drives frequently and easily. I do not want to backup/image my system drive (say, C drive) frequently. However, I care my system drive the most. With a healthy system drive, my computer is useless.

I use Returnil Home Free. The main reason that I use Returnil is to prevent my 4-year old son from causing any undiserable mess. He likes use my computer and makes changes to system (C drive, that I do not want to backup/image frequently) and other drives (that I can backup frequently). I also use Returnil to prevent Trojans.

Let me give you one example. This is a real problem happened to me recently. Recently, my son screwed up my computer while Returnil protection was ON and I did not know it. My computer was still be able to reboot and operate. Before my son screwed up my computer, I installed a program while Returnil Protection was ON and chose "Save all changes" and rebooted my computer. I did not switch back to "Drop all changes" as recommended. After my son screwed up my computer, I rebooted again and all changes made by my son was saved.

I think that if Returnil did not kill my System Restore points, I should have been able to restore my system drive cleanly.

Sometimes, the Microsoft updates and updates from other programs in one's computer can cause problems to some programs that have been installed. With System Restore points, one can easily figure out which update causes problem (Microsoft always make a System Restore Point before the update is applied). Because Returnil kills SR points, there is no way to figure this out easily by yourself.

I always use the recommened "Drop all changes" on computer shutdown, except that time. The installation was successful. Unfortunately, I did not switch from "Save all changes" to "Drop all changes". I thought that by default, after reboot, Returnil should automatically switch to the "Drop all changes". Actually I am wrong. I did not know this. Personally, I think that it makes perfect sense toautomatically switch to "Drop all changes" from the security perspective and why we use Returnil and why Returnil recommends "Drop all changes".

Although some Trojans can take advantage of System Restore and wreak a havoc. If Returnil can really protect us from Trojans, turning on System Restore points should not a problem.

Personally, I think that System Restore (SR) points are not useless, although not perfect.

I hope that Returnil can eventually solve this SR points issue. I will not buy a Returnil until this issue is solved.

Thanks

3. CloneRanger

Quote ManDate

Don't hold your breath :( If they do fix it, i'll be VERY surprised, but happy.

Sure is, and not just you.

I notice that you have NOT had ANY official reply to your questions and concerns o_O

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi CR,
    If you would like to participate in a beta to test the solution (not what you might be expecting, but an idea that makes SR's completely irrelevant) shoot me a PM and I can add you to the list ;)

We are not ready to integrate it into RVS yet and "it" will have more capabilities as we move forward, but it is stable and very fast. We will be testing it as a stand-alone "utility" so we can get it to the integration stage faster.

Mike

5. CloneRanger

@Coldmoon

Ooh :D

It's not Xmas already is it ;)

Stable and very fast sounds good to me, PM sent :thumb:

6. Coldmoon

Thanks - have added you to the list and a reply sent via PM. I will be sending the download information to the list tomorrow :)

Mike

7. Valder

Valder Registered Member

Update: I don't get "Blue Death" any more, only "Windows Virtual Memory Full." I tried to set everything from setting the system space for the Virtual System from 0 to 100% to no avail. Is there a solution that I can use Returnil for not having to restart my computer for a full day, without resizing partitions?

It's a pretty old system, 1 Gigs of RAM, 6 Gigs of free space. Should be enough.

Someone mentioned the old version of Returnil might be the cure. Where can I find it?

8. Coldmoon

Are you setting the Windows virtual memory manually or allowing Windows to decide?

Mike

9. culla

culla Registered Member

10. CloneRanger

Originally Posted by culla

You tried doing any System Restores ?

If so how many, and how was it/them ?

How often do you use RVS ?

How often do you reboot ?

TIA

11. culla

culla Registered Member

yes i've done sys restores they work no problem but obviously you can't set a restore point when rvs is on it would dissapear on reboot !

yes i've have :D

reboot every couple of days [depends where i've been]

i am using it now and everyday since its release i save stuff to external drive i don't set up the virtual z:drive and i run rvs in ram anymore questions ?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  12. CloneRanger

@culla

OK, well good for you :p

Yes 2008 was excellent, apart from the SR problems. My "understanding" is the new versions should be more like 2008 :thumb: So hopefully they "might" at last be good to go for everyone, here's hoping ;)

You don't say :D

Thanks for posting :thumb:

13. culla

culla Registered Member

+1 to thats what i'm waiting for :D

14. Coldmoon

CR,
    Please try RSS Pro 2011 and let me know your results with the new System Restore feature in RSS on XP.

Thanks
    Mike

15. Valder

Valder Registered Member

I allow Windows to decide. AFAIK, it is the safer, better option.

16. Valder

Valder Registered Member

17. Coldmoon

Hi Valder and welcome back to the thread :)

Please try RSS Pro 2011 as it has been updated with a number of fixes that also include issues with XP and System Restore discovered in the current 3.1 series. To verify if this is valid, we need your feedback on the changes.

Thanks in advance
    Mike

18. Valder

Valder Registered Member

Whoa. It is 2011 at you, already? I am trying it... How do I set it up to auto start virtual mode at startup? It seems the icon in the notification area is randomly red or green, not by rule. So far I haven't got to the point where it says virtual memory is full.

19. Coldmoon

Time flies when you are having fun ;)

Good

Virtual Mode > Overview > "Virtual Mode always on" section

Check preferences > Administration tab > "Notify user about protected status when" section.

Mike

20. Valder

Valder Registered Member

21. Coldmoon

Are you allowing Windows to manage its virtual memory or are you using a custom setup/configuration?

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I couldn't restore my MBR once but untill further research is complete, all is ATM inconclusive.

I am preparing another drive to repeat to test RVS this time again without having COMODO installed first, as i somehow suspect it might just had been that app that cause my MBR problems when i couldn't even reach neither windows GUI or Safe Mode. Only a split second screen flash then immediate system reset, that continued into a useless endless loop.

Suffice it to say, i had to use my Windows XP install disk to choose a different WINDOWS folder just to recover all my programs and boot up once again, a task lies ahead of me to pull off all my apps and traansfer them to another HD.

23. arran

arran Registered Member

Easter I look forward to reading your testing results. are you also able to test the Lite
    version's MBR protection?

24. Valder

Valder Registered Member

I allow Windows to manage its virtual memory. But what it has to do with that on Cnet it's a time limited trial version of your software? Do you have the legacy version without limitations? You used to have that, too.

25. Coldmoon

Hi Valder,
    You asked the following:

This is why I asked about manual configuration/control of the virtual memory in Windows. Does your system meet the minimum physical requirements listed in the User's Manual? If yes, how many processes did you have running at the same time as RSS?

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.