Don't schedule On-Demand Scans with Policy

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by SmackyTheFrog, Jan 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Just a warning to other admins using the policy features in 3.0.39, using the policy manager to schedule on-demand scans will result in multiple scans launching concurrently each time the client reports back in to the RAS until around 6-8 of the things are all scanning at once. It absolutely destroys system performance, so I would recommend not using policy for that one specific task until the issue gets sorted out.

2. Geosoft

Geosoft Registered Member

Can you not specify a Scheduling ID code? that way it would just overwrite that particular scheduled task instead of making a new one.

3. SmackyTheFrog

I do specify the event id to match the one that was previously set in the cfg.xml file. The behavior you see is the exact same scan job being launched every five minutes each time a client reports back in to the RAS until you have around a half dozen of the things all going at the same time at which point it stops launching them.

screwed_up_scans.png

That's what it ends up looking like when you see the behavior on a RAS. There is a bug report in with Eset on this one, but for the time being I've just disabled scheduled scans through policy and create a manual task each week to do the scan which does not exhibit the same behavior.

4. chcp

chcp Registered Member

Hi,
    We have the same bug, multiple scan when using scan policies with era. Our version of era is 3.0.105. Same behavior with 3.0.672 or 2.x clients

5. SmackyTheFrog

I ended up testing a v4.0 client at this issue was resolved there. My workaround for the time being is to manually schedule delayed scan tasks on a weekly basis until the new version is out and we migrate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.