Don't Fear Internet Anonymity Tools

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Privacy.net doesn't try using Javascript/Java to find your "real" IP address, BrowserSpy's IP Info via Java page does though. As for Javascript, if BrowserSpy's JavaScript Information also indicates that Javascript is enabled despite ZA's settings, then a trip to the ZoneLabs forum may be in order...

Disabling Java in your firewall/browser/filter will only affect Java applets embedded in web pages. Installed applications like JAP will not be affected.

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

OK, P2K. I think we're getting closer. Below are the results of the two links in your post above. Does this look better?

Attached Files:

• java.gif
      java.gif
      File size:
      12.1 KB
      Views:
  3. Dazed_and_Confused

P2K, Are you then suggesting that I disable JAVA by unchecking the check box in my post above?

4. Paranoid2000

That looks the way it should be ... if Privacy.net still says that Javascript is enabled, try doing a reload - you may simply be seeing a previously cached page.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Is there a difference between Java and Javascript? o_O Privacy.net says that I have JAVA enabled, but it doesn't say anything about Javascript.

6. Paranoid2000

If you mean unchecking the "Use Java (Sun)" box in your browser settings then certainly yes. JAP is a standalone Java application - it does not need (or use) your browser to run.

7. Dazed_and_Confused

One other strange thing. Privacy.net says that I have been there before (which of course I have), but I wonder how it knows that! I looked on my PC, and I don't see a cookie there. I examined each cookie using Karens Cooke Viewer. As a matter of fact, I imported the Privacy Settings XML file, as instructed to better handle cookies. o_O

8. Paranoid2000

Please see this Java vs. JavaScript article for a description of the differences. For Privacy.net, you should receive a result similar to the following:

Your Browser Type and Operating System:

Space Bison/0.02 [fu] (Win67; X; SK)

All information sent by your web browser when requesting this web page:

Cache-Control: no-cache, max-age=259200 Connection: keep-alive Pragma: no-cache Via: 1.1 dali.wiwi.hu-berlin.de:3128 (Squid/2.4.STABLE6) Accept: text/ html, image/png, image/jpeg, image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, */* Accept-Charset: windows-1252;q=1.0, utf-8;q=1.0, utf-16;q=1.0, iso-8859-1;q=0.6, *;q=0.1 Accept-Language: en Host: www.privacy.net User-Agent: Space Bison/0.02 [fu] (Win67; X; SK) X-Forwarded-For: unknown

Is JavaScript, VBScript, or JAVA enabled? Text will appear if these features are enabled. The JAVA window may not appear until the page finishes loading.

TraceRoute to 141.20.103.68 []

9. privacynut

privacynut Guest

I when i go to that site it says nothing about my "browser type and operating system". :) :) But i have them blocked with my firewall. :D :D Just another way to add some more privacy to the mix. ;) ;)

10. Paranoid2000

If you're using P3P (Privacy Preferences Protocol aka Pretty Poor Privacy) for your cookie control, then I would suggest not bothering. It is not in your interest to have cookies on your system at all except for sites that need them (like forums, online shops you frequent, etc) so blocking cookies except for specified sites is the best option (though it does require more work to set up).

Privacy.net will actually try setting two cookies - one standard HTML one (the results of which are listed first) and one via Javascript (results will be listed under the "Is JavaScript, VBScript, or JAVA enabled?" line - if a cookie was successful here then you should see the line "Cookie via JavaScript: Privacy.net_JavaScript ="...). It is quite possible that your cookie viewer is only picking up HTML cookies and not Javascript ones.

11. Dazed_and_Confused

Didn't see anything like that. Here is what I saw.

Attached Files:

• priv.gif
      priv.gif
      File size:
      13.4 KB
      Views:
  12. Dazed_and_Confused

Regarding cookie control, here is what I did. I imported the /xml file below as instructed on the JAP site.

Attached Files:

13. Paranoid2000

In that case, whatever you are using to block HTML cookies is not working (you can see the cookie value in the "All information sent..." section also). As for why your cookie viewer can't see it, I don't know (one possibility could be that the privacy.net cookies are being made session cookies, which disappear when you close your browser, and the cookie viewer may be ignoring them).

14. Paranoid2000

In that case, my previous guess looks to be correct - that file makes all cookies session only so they disappear when you close your browser. Bear in mind that you will need to specify sites (like this forum) where you want to retain cookies.

As for effectiveness, making all cookies session only will make long-term profiling impossible - but only allowing cookies from sites you trust will prevent any third-party profiling whatsoever.

15. Dazed_and_Confused

Well, I looked at the cookie viewer when the privacy.net site was open and still didn't see anything. By the way, how can you tell what that .xml file is doing? After I imported it, it cleared my advanced privacy settings. Is this OK?

Attached Files:

16. Paranoid2000

The details are given on the JAP data protection page.
    I don't really know IE *crosses self with garlic* so I can only say that it depends on what your previous settings were.

17. Dazed_and_Confused

Yup. I already read that. That's where I got the idea to download the .xml file. That page doesn't really say that I'm supposed to do any additional configuration, so I guess everything's OK.

Thanks a bunch for your help this evening P2K. I owe you (another) one. :D

Attached Files:

18. Paranoid2000

Well well, a post that I can't provide a technical answer to! (that's a first... ;)). Time to do what my avatar would have done...SMITHERS!!!

19. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Point taken, Snow Guy.
    The remarks I made weren't written in pure ignorance or naïvity... neither do I underestimate what's going on...I am aware (perhaps not always of the technical ways, but at least of the existence of multiple monitoring - and this goes on in- and outside the internet-alas....:mad:)

Let's just say I kinda fuelled the discussion a little bit; thanks for your reply and views.
    Another day, another learning opportunity...

regards,
    slammer

20. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Slammer

Old friend I have known you long enough to know that you are an intelligent and awear person........certainly I would never suggest otherwise....as I am sure you realize......
    Slammer privacy invasion was once a problem........now its an absolute........an there was no reason it should have reach such a point......no reason at all. an now that it has.......what now ?

21. Dazed_and_Confused

OK P2K, I've got JAP up and running, and I'm feeling secure. :)

You've talked quite a bit about Proxomitron. I was looking at their web site, and it appears that to use this app I need to configure my broswer to use port 8080 for HTTP and Secure transmissions. Currently JAP has me using port 4041.

So my questions are:

1. What does Proxomitron give me that JAP does not?
    2. Can I use both JAP and Proxomitron at the same time, and if so, how?
    3. And maybe more important, do I NEED to use both at the same time?

Thanks again for all your expert advice!

22. agent7

agent7 Guest

A few things you can do if you want to help preserve our eroding privacy would be to join and support groups that are fighting for our privacy. Also do your best to elect officials that support the protection of our privacy rights. Lastly pray and pray hard for our leaders, for our society, and for peace, justice, and goodness to win out in the hearts and minds of all.

23. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

im not following you about i promise :eek: i'll let someone else answer questions 1&3, as im not 100% sure
    you can use them together, and set them up at the link below. :)
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45291
    another thing you can do is look through Paranoid's posts, but im sure he'll(?) turn up :)

24. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    I do, and thanks:)

Hm, come to think of it: In high school (seems ages ago now...) I once made a study about "The abuse of Privacy by governments". I Remember how much I was shocked at that time already about what I found out. Mind you, I'm referring to the pre-internet era...
    At the same time George Orwell's "1984" was very popular, as it was on the 'reading lists' for English on my school.
    Never could I foresee such a rapid dissapearing of (the guarding of) privacy in just 2 decades.
    At the same time, the techniques and hardware to 'spy' on each other (negative outlook) or share and communicate with each other (positive approach) became available for almost everybody.

I see this is a remarkable dualism, about which I philosophize a lot.
    (hope you catch my point - my English lessons were 20+ years ago;) )
    It's a mad mad world...

:doubt: ? :) !

regards,
    slam

25. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

Tuatara wrote:

Paranoid2000 wrote:
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Fact: Jap had a backdoor once, and nobody knows if this will happen again, and if this will become public again.

The Internet Cafe story is an example for being safe to read what you want,
    without anyone knows what you have read.

So yes, passwords etc. can be snooped, and which websites you've visited
    is known, but NOT YOUR ID !!!

So it all depends on WHY you want to be anonymous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.