Dont blame Kaspersky.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Jul 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well I will be damn. Tihs morning I remove Avira because I wanted to try Esets suite again and to my bewildered eyes, I got the same chkdsk issue that happened quite awhile back with Kaspersky. It repaired the files or replaced them and moved on.

So now I am wondering if this really isnt more of a Microsoft issue. I personally think it is and as time goes by, more vendors may have issues because of this. Sorry Kaspersky for pointing fingers in only one direction.

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Interesting. Would you please clarify... what did you do after you uninstalled Kaspersky that would have repaired the CHKDSK issue on your machine?

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

That was quite awhile back. On uninstalling Avira on reboot chkdsk started to run and said some orphan files were corrupt or something along those lines and replaced them in stage 1, then finished 2 and 3. I am not saying it is Avira but it makes me wonder is it my PC, or an issue that crops up from time to time with Microsofts OS and other products.

4. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

What optigrab is asking is Did you do anything after you uninstalled Kaspersky to remove the object identifer tags which seem to be the cause of the problem? If not they just remained there and had absolutely nothing to do with Avira, but were still just remnants of your KAV install, at least i think that is what he is trying to ask.

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I didnt do anything. But it has been awhille and I have installed quite a few apps and this has popped up twice.

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Sorry but why doesn't it crop here :blink: . I have never had check disk errors on my own computer since I started using Win XP (of course I have seen it on other computers) . It is not a Microsoft issue because it doesn't happen just so , it is not a random event . Check disk appears when there is a need , something caused a problem . I don't say it was your antivirus software exactly but there is definitely a reason , not because Windows wanted so . :thumb:

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I understand and appreciate the help Hi Tech, it just makes me wonder why now and from what. Did run System Mechanic on it last week.

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

9. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

That's right - that was my question.

trjam, probably the most bothersome issue for the (small) set of people that have experienced the KAV/CHKDSK problem, is that it doesn't go away after uninstall, and that there really isn't a well-developed uninstall tool to remove the object identifier tags. If you had KAV a long time ago, and had a CHKDSK problem in the past, there doesn't seem to be any reason to believe your recent CHKDSK problem is unrelated. Still, I agree with you that the long delay between the problems you've seen is curious.

I've not yet decided in my case that a small CHKDSK delay is worth my worry and bother, but I am pretty sure that if there were a proven, effective, and safe removal tool available, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I understand but am just trying to be fair, thats all. It is easy I guess to assume, but I am like a lot of others who may say it is related to that install, but without proof, I am not going to imply it. Or should not have implied it.

11. flyrfan111

Well since it does seem to be such a small percentage of KAV users, it is possible that it is from other software they all also have in common, with such a small set of people experiencing it, it is hard to say for sure what the cause is, for now the common link appears to be KAV.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Or Microsoft.

13. flyrfan111

That I think don't so because that would mean then that everyone that uses KAV on Windows would be affected and that is not the case. It would also imply that all Windows users would have the issue as well.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

True, but I have installed and uninstalled so many security products on my computers that if one had issues, I am not going to blame the last product on there. I am going to blame myself. That is like when I said that the Eset Suite was pathetic. That was assine of me. The issue I was having was directly related to my habits on my computer, not Eset. With Ronjors help, I figured it out. So I just think we all have to be careful assuming anything, unless we have ever only had one security product on our PC.

15. flyrfan111

True, very good advice.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

or maybe, just maybe..... after removing kaspersky, windows felt the need to chkdsk because of what its done.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not necessarily. Could be that KAV did something perfectly acceptable, by Microsoft standards, but hit a problem in some microsoft routine.

Let me give you an example. Having played with the Killdisk trojan what it does is mess up the partition table so when you boot it gives an invalid partition table. If you try an restore an image from any of the imaging programs, they fail usually not being able to see the disk. You have to first delete the partition table, and then restore. I talked with storagecraft about it and it hints to a problem in the routines that all the imaging programs use to access the partition table. Later I was messing with deleting partitions by editing the table in Acronis Disk director. Clearly something didn't go right.
    When I tried booting Bartpe it bluescreened. So then I tried the Shadowprotect recovery environment. It bluescreened. At that point I grabbed by trusty Windows XP CD and booted forgetting to F6 in my drivers. Windows booted but no disks, so I rebooted and F6'd in my drivers and the windows CD bluescreened. Later discussed this with some Storagecraft folks, and the feeling was the only explanation was the routines of MS that access the partition table, are fine when there is a good table, or no table, but if the table is corrupt, those routines can bomb.

Point is the odds of anyone running into this problem is probably slim to none, but if you do like I did, it is indeed a Microsoft problem. The chkdsk situation could be very similiar.

Pete

18. flyrfan111

Alright, I will give you that one. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong, nor will it be the last unfortunately. The fact that this problem is so rare makes it extremely difficult to reproduce, which then makes it even harder to fix.

19. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Agree 100%, that's why I said before in this thread that I never complained even if I had this chkdsk problem.

Life is too short to struggle with a Software. When one of them is not compatible with other Software on my computer or with my hardware, I just ditch it and find another one. But that's me...

20. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

trjam, I think its a case that you have swapped and changed over a billion times, that I can recall reading your posts, that your Computer has finally had enough, and has finally secumbed to all the changes, and got tired and shagged out! :D

21. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That's what I think too. :D :p :eek:

22. cruser921

cruser921 Registered Member

i can say this i have had aol avs on my two systems for 1 yr and have never notest a slow down in chkdsk other then what was allready there before had i to think it is windows in it self that is messed up. just my two cents did not meen to barge in here.

23. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.