domain controller cloning

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by andbene, Jun 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andbene

andbene Registered Member

bug cerc sata on domain controller cloning

Hi, I'm evaluating TI to clone our server (Dell Poweredge 1800 with CERC SATA 1.5/2s controller + disk mirroring + win2k3). The target server is a PowerEdge 2500 with a PERC 3DI SCSI + raid 5.

I read in the faq about the sysprep but seem that the w2k3 sysprep are not allowed to reinitialize PnP 'cause it can run only on a server that is not a domain controller. So I ask how I can restore on a different hardware in a situation like this one. Any idea ?

thank you

Andrea

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  2. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

I did it without sysprep, from W2K to SBS W2K3, from an old Compaq to a new HP. It takes some work though:

I prepared a Windows 2000 server CD slipstreamed with SP4, but it's not really needed.

Here's how:

* Write down network configuration.

* Took Compaq/W2K offline, from the Acronis boot CD cloned the disks to an image on a temp disk

* Temp disk installed as an IDE slave in the HP/Empty machine

* Boot from Acronis boot CD to restore the images back to partitions on the new HP.

* ***don't*** boot from this HP/W2K, but run the W2K Server CD, use F6 to install 3rd party RAID driver of HP, going to console.

* In Console use bootcfg /rebuild (fixes boot.ini to reflect to right drive type, drive, partition, etc)

* Boot from W2K CD, use F6 and add driver, *DO NOT* choose repair install, continue normally until after F8 for EULA. Now windows will find the "old" install" and offer to repair. Do so.

* Boot from HDD into Windows 2000. If not using slipstreamed CD, Apply service packs ASAP.

* Apply HP softpacks (drivers for this server)

* Configure networking.

* Done! Domain intact, no changes at clients.

Later I did an inplace upgrade to SBS 2003.

3. andbene

andbene Registered Member

Well, my requirements are that I have to do an image with the server online.

I have tried to create the image but seem there is some kind of incompatibility between TI and CERC SATA 1.5/2 controller. After I have launched the disk image creation the system froze at "Analizying partition 0-0" then after sometime on the tray bar appear an icon say me "Windows Delayed Write Failed. Windows was unable to save all data for file C:/WINDOWS". Then system have rebooted with the mirror broken.

Anyone using CERC SATA 1.5/2 successfully around ?

Andrea

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Andrea,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please try the following workaround:
    1. Run regedit and find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\snapman\Parameters registry key;
    2. Add Parameters key if it does not exist yet;
    3. Add new DWORD Value;
    4. Set the new item's name to MaxSplitBlock and its value equal to 100 (decimal);

Please try to create image after that and let us know the result.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. badalf33

badalf33 Registered Member

Hello

I'm trying Acronis True Image Entreprise server v8.0.1158 and I have the same problem : your software crash the RAID controller (PowerEdge 1800 with CERC SATA) when I start it on Windows 2003 Server.

I've done the registry modification : your software don't crash on start up, but now crash when I close it.

Can you solve this problem ?

Best regards

6. Acronis Support

Hello badalf33,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Enterprise Disk Backup Software.

Please do the following in order to enable mini-dumps.

- Open Computer properties either by right clicking on My Computer icon and choosing Properties or by opening System properties in Control Panel;
    - Go to Advanced tab;
    - Press Startup and Recover Settings button;
    - Choose Small memory dump in Write debugging information box;
    - Close all the dialog windows by clicking OK buttons.

Then please reproduce the system crash and send the mini-dumps created to support@acronis.com along with the link to your post. This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. badalf33

badalf33 Registered Member

Oh sorry... The registry modification works great... I've made a syntax error :rolleyes:

Now the server is OK....

Thanks

8. Acronis Support

Hello badalf33,

I am glad that your problem has been solved. If you have any questions concerning our software, please feel free to contact us and we will do our best to help you as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

9. TonioRoffo

TonioRoffo Registered Member

During normal backups, I agree. When you're taking a server online and build a new one, go off-line.

If you keep the old one running while building the new one, your data will never be up to date?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.