Does ZAISS contain the COMPLETE Kaspersky Antivirus (KAV)?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by gorgelink, Nov 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gorgelink

gorgelink Registered Member

Hi,

In ZAISS 7, do I get ALL the features of the standalone KAV (Kaspersky Antivirus) 6?

In other words:

If I install KAV 6, I get a full-fledged, features-rich antivirus application.

Do I get exactly the same thing, with ALL the features when I install ZAISS?

Also: will ZAISS update its antivirus to KAV 7?

Many thanks for this great forum.

Y.

2. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

No, they're totally different. the only same things they both have is the scanning engine... whatever KAV6 detects, ZA will detect.

Other than that there's no other similarity... ZA doesnt have KAV's ProactiveDefense, Mail-AV, Web-AV etc

Detection-wise, ZA is still being updated with the same signatures KAV6+7 get (because they're both based on the same scanning engine)... the only difference between detection rates is that ZA does not have KAV's new Heuristics (which are in KAV7)
    (I think ZA also utilizes another scanning engine, but i'm not sure which or even if it does have another engine)

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

ZoneAlarm AntiVirus and ZASS use the Kaspersky scan engine. That means the AV components in KAV and ZAAV are not directly comparable. ZoneAlarm's Antivirus does not have an HTTP scanner, but it has a mail scanner which is different from Kaspersky's, and the OSFirewall technology acts as some kind of proactive defense module.

Hence you do not really lose any protection using ZoneAlarm AV instead of KAV apart from the fact that you don't have a HTTP scanner in ZA (at least not yet) and that ZoneAlarm's AV (and any other AV using the KAV engine) does not have the new heuristics of Kaspersky's 7.0 version.

As for whether the KAV7 heuristics will be included in ZoneAlarm AV, I could never get a clear answer on the matter. However, ZoneAlarm tech support did say that their AV is continually being improved and whenever Kaspersky releases the new heuristics to their partners in the form of an SDK updated, it will be integrated into ZoneAlarm's AV in the next release (so far Kaspersky has not released the heuristics in the SDK for their partners to use).

ZoneAlarm Security Suite also has its own spyware detection engine which is moderately efficient and works only on-demand for now. It also has an extremely useful real-time spy site blocking feature which is quite effective. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.