Does your Firefox sometimes show you old versions of a page?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I am sick and tired of this, I hate Google Chrome's bookmarks manager so I cannot switch to it, it won't allow me to scroll my bookmarks with my mouse wheel

The problem with Firefox is, sometimes if I am looking at a page, and think that it is the latest version, I am surprised that when I do a CTRL+F5, I see some new stuff added, happens a lot on www.majorgeeks.com or http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel chipset.htm

Today I accessed Station Drivers, and when I hit CTRL + F5 I saw a new Intel Rapid Storage Driver

This baffels me because I have done the tweak in Firefox to always get the latest content from a webpage upon every visit

about:config
    browser.cache.check_doc_frequency
    value = 1

I am surprised noone complains about this, or people probably just browse not even knowing they might be looking at old content on a page

How do you guys deal with this or someone please help me solve this before I bit the bullet and accept that Chrome can't scroll through my bookmarks using the Mouse wheel :mad:

2. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I've got my Firefox set the same way, plus have it clear much history (including cache) on exit, and have never encountered your problem.

One (admittedly very) remote possibility, particularly if it's a busy site, is that the page was revised/updated just after you loaded it.

3. berryracer

it happens with me all the time man.

Anyway, I switched to Google Chrome since noone was able to offer me any good advice and I am loving the much faster speed of loading webpages in Chrome, plus, I never experienced this issue in Chrome

4. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I have the issue occasionally, but I just choose to live with it. IE does not seem to have the issue but I prefer Firefox. I cannot bring myself to use Chrome. I just don't like it. If I get time I will look for a solution for Firefox, and I will post back if I find one.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

You could try resetting Firefox to it's default state.:)

6. berryracer

default state or not, it happens randomly i've been experiencing it since Firefox 5

7. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh!:blink: I've never experienced it before.....or maybe I just have not noticed it all this time. Hmm......:doubt:

8. niki

niki Registered Member

Me neither ..... If I'm on a site for some time and just idling, I just do a quick reload of the page.

9. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Ironically, I only noticed this once, for the first time just this past week... and it was on this site.

It's the only time I'd ever noticed it before. That doesn't mean it was the first time it happened. I could have been oblivious to it.

At first I thought a post of mine was deleted. And thought... why? But then I noticed some things just didn't add up. So I reloaded the page, and sure enough... realized I'd been on an old version of it.

I don't know why it happens or how to remedy it. I have all caching disabled personally. So it seems to happen no matter what your settings are.

10. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The thing is you likely won't notice it unless you open the same site in multiple browsers at the same time, and even then it may not happen. I have been noticing it since version 2, which was the first version I ever used.

One situation you will likely notice it in is when you lose your internet connection, Firefox will display a cached copy of your homepage when you launch it, where IE will give a connection error. Again, this is not always consistent.

11. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I don´t understand why this behavior is strange. Isn´t the purpose of the cache to keep copies of "old" pages to display them in certain circumstances?

And if you don´t want a cache, why just don´t you configure the browser accordingly?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  12. luciddream

As stated though, Robin, this will happen even if you have caching disabled.

13. berryracer

True, it happens even if caching is disabled and I set Firefox to ALWAYS get the latest version of a page via:

browser.cache.check_doc_frequency value = 1

still happens

but also, disabling cashing slows down browsing

in Chrome, WITH cashing enabled and snappy browsing, this never happened to me EVER

14. luciddream

I'd heard disabling caching would slow down browsing. Even just thinking about it, logically, one would assume it would. But that has not been my experience. If it was, I wouldn't still be using the tweaks, because I'm all about light footprint/snappiness.

The only time I notice is when there's a lot of thumbnails on a page at one time, like in a Youtube sub. list, and it's your 2'nd (or more) time there. Normally after the first visit they'd spring right up on subsequent visits, but not with caching disabled. Besides that, no slowdown at all. And that only effects me about once a week, briefly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.