Does your AV update

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Diver, Oct 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diver

Diver Registered Member

A recent study done by McAffe shows that nearly half of the surveyed computers in the US either do not have a an AV installed or have signature files that are at least one month old. Roughly one third did not have a firewall enabled

http://download.mcafee.com/products/manuals/en-us/McAfeeNCSA_Analysis09-25-07.pdf?cid=36665

So next tine you are worrying about a zero day attack that hides forever in a rootkit and disables your AV and firewall, just remember there is an awful lot of low hanging fruit out there for the bad guys to pick.

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Even the freebies auto-update so it's amazing that so many are out of date, probably because of expired AV-license. I'm of the 1/3 that has no software FW installed. I use Kerio 2.1.5 for testing, but don't have it installed currently.

3. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I'd say the majority of the problem is made up of newbies whose computers come pre-installed with Symantec or McAfee trials, and don't know that they need to do something to keep their AV protection up after the 30 days run out.

4. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

OEMs should give a full year of subscription to a suite, not 30/90 days. PC makers, ISPs, Microsoft and law enforcement agencies have big responsibilities for the amount of malware in circulation and the money lost by people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.