Does Windows XP have scandisk ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SonyaM32, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

This computer is still pretty new, and I looked at start/all programs/accessories/system tools, and did not see scandisk. Does windows xp have scandisk ? If so, where is it ?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

You need to actually approach it from the Properties... option on the disk(s) themselves. For example, if you double-click My Computer, right-click the disk drive and choose Properties... there is a tab where "Error Checking" is an option. That's scandisk.

Attached Files:

3. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

Thanx LowWaterMark, :D :D :D :D

4. polyglory

polyglory Registered Member

I have learnt something as well, thanks :)

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Another thing you can use the DOS-Like command prompt to scan your hard disk, just type chkdsk in the command prompt to only check for errors, and chkdsk/f to fix also.

6. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

Cool, didn't know that. TBH I don't really know when I would use that but it's cool to know all the same. So how would you cancel a chkdsk in DOS? Exit?

Also, you know the command to start a defragment in DOS? Not that I use Windows defragmenter...

EDIT: whoah, using checkdisk in DOS is much faster than as the GUI application.... nice.

7. Firecat

I dont think you can cancel chkdsk in DOS. You can defrag your hard disk in DOS by using the command 'defrag'. To have a detailed list of commands that can be used with this command type 'defrag/?'

Regards,
    Firecat

8. fortknox

fortknox Guest

One question I have about checkdisk is why doesn't it run after a bad shutdown like scandisk would in 98/me? I'm using xp sp2. Thx.

9. Firecat

I found that strange too. But when I manually checked for errors anyway it found none. But when I had FAT32 partitions it would check after bad shutdown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.