Does Windows have a chroot equivalent?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Gullible Jones, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've been messing around with Sandfox on Linux and I think it's pretty cool. Kind of like Sandboxie for *nix; you can create somewhat more secure chroot environments for almost any application. (Somewhat more secure because Linux chroot is IIRC less secure than BSD chroot, but yeah.)

So going full circle back to Windows... Does Windows NT have an equivalent to chroot so you could pull something like this off? Not that there's anything wrong with Sandboxie, but I would think that a chroot-like mechanism could perhaps be more flexible, e.g. you could tell it precisely what libraries to let a program read from, and it might work better for running services and stuff.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Maybe this: http://www.winquota.com/wj/

3. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

4. I was referring to built-in stuff... But it seems the closest thing Windows offers to a chroot jail is the "runas" command. I already knew about the "Protect my computer from unauthorized program activity" option, but I didn't realize that it had a bunch of trust levels; maybe one of those trust levels would be useful for sandboxing stuff, without creating so many restrictions that the program doesn't work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.