Does Wilders monitor P2P traffic?

Discussion in 'Forum Related Discussions' started by pajenn, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Peerblock always blocks Wilders (or Yipes Communications, Inc) unless I "Allow HTTP". I'm using Peerblock with standard lists intended to block spammers, hijackers, spies, and groups that monitor P2P traffic or pursue anti-infringement activities. Now Peerblock can block a lot of legitimate sites, which is why I usually allow HTTP when surfing the web, but I'm just asking for the record whether Wilders/Yipes is involved in anything of the type peerblockers would like to block.

Note: I learned about peerblock in this forum and it was recommended by many reputable forum members. There's a long thread about it in the 'other firewalls' section.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

If we're being blocked by their filters it has to be because of some wide IP address range they've included from which we get out address. You asked, does Yipes or Wilders do any P2P monitoring or whatever... Well, how would Wilders Security do that exactly? We're a single website on a single IP address. No one installs any of our software as we don't produce software. We don't provide P2P services. We don't even have third-party content or Ads on this site. Yipes on the other hand is a massive Internet service provider with countless thousands of customers, servers, routers and who knows what. They could very well have had a customer who was involved in some kind of tracking and that got a part of their IP address space added to the filter set. If you can look inside the filters they provide, you could look to see what block it is that prevents access here. Our IP address is 65.175.38.194. If that is not in there, then it's likely a large, wide range that is in their list.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

HTTP is not P2P.

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

You can add Wilders IP address to the exclusion list. It won't get blocked anymore.

5. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Peer block is junk. There's a hidden protocol in the P2P network where people can be monitored easily without them knowing it. Peer block doesn't pick that up. That's how bitthief work. It uses that protocol and just download and don't upload.

6. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

OK. Done.

fwiw, here's the message from peerblock when it blocked Wilders:

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I dunno if you are right but I also use an encrypted VPN for all my P2P traffic so hopefully that would obscure any monitoring based on hidden protocols.

As for peerblock, it logs all the sites it blocks, and even when I'm not surfing the web, there a long list there that builds over time when I'm using uTorrent, so I think it's blocking something useful... [note: I have subscriptions to iblocklist's subscription lists + nexus23's ipfilterX list -- when I was using free lists only, hardly anything got blocked...].

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I suggest you choose always allow HTTP traffic in the settings of PeerBlock if you don't want to block HTTP traffic. I don't see any benefit in blocking HTTP traffic in protecting you on P2P networks.

9. x942

x942 Guest

I've googled every variation of that and can't find anything about hidden protocols in p2p. Link please?

I use peer lock just for block malware domains etc. And bad websites. And all gov Ips ;) I do it mostly to stop attacks and as a replacement to MVPHOST ( put their list into peerblock as its nice to be able to have an on/ off + whitelists:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.