Does Unencrypted VPN Provide Protection?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by chinook9, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chinook9

chinook9 Registered Member

I am going to Europe at the end of this week and I decided at the last minute that using a VPN on the wireless networks over there could provide some protection in the event I need to do a financial transaction.

I am taking my Asus Transformer tablet and I have SecurityKISS working on it. SecurityKISS website indicates that due to a problem with the Android operating system I cannot have an encrypted connection.

Does the VPN provide protection with the encrypted connection? Also, is it beneficial to use an L2TP connection. SecurityKISS has a lot more servers for the L2TP connection.

Any information to help me understand where I stand from a security perspective with this VPN connection would be appreciated.

NOTE: I have Avast anti-virus on it and will use KeePass to protect my passwords.

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I doubt that an unencrypted VPN connection would do much good. What sort of VPN connection are you considering (that's unencrypted)? I don't know Android, but it seems odd that it can't handle encrypted VPNs. I vaguely recall reading that it doesn't do OpenVPN, but does do IPsec. Maybe you need to find a provider that uses IPsec.

3. chinook9

The SecurityKISS website indicates that there is a bug in the Android operating system that prevents the encryption from working adequately. I am presently doing PPTP with encryption turned off.

SecurityKISS does do L2TP/IPsec but I haven't had any luck connecting.

I will continue to try L2TP/IPsec on SecurityKISS and look for other providers that I might also use.

Thanks for the information.

4. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

An unencrypted connection wouldn't help you address your concerns. All that VPN (unencrypted) would do is provide their IP to your destination sites. Your transmitted packets inside of the cafe would still be open and quite an easy hijack.

Since you are talking about a bank (financial transaction) the connection to them is almost certainly https (SSL) so that would help alot.

Android can be connected to VPN with the proper tunneling. I don't have Android but lots of folks are using it safely.

Is your Android device rooted?

5. chinook9

My Transformer is not rooted.

I have spent quite a bit of time researching the possibilities but still no luck in finding one that will work at a reasonable price. I hardly ever use the Transformer for browsing so I have to keep it pretty cheap.

I guess if I have to do financial transactions I may have to rely on the HTTPS, but I'll still keep looking.

6. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Check out FEAT VPN in the Play store. One guy on the AirVPN forums tested it out and it seemed to work, *non-rooted*, for connecting to their OpenVPN servers. It's free for like an hour a day, or it's $4 for unlimited.

http://www.featvpn.com/

No affiliation.

PD

7. chinook9

Thank you for the recommendation. I will try it today.

EDIT: I checked it out for a few minutes but it did not show up when I searched the Play Store on my tablet. I searched the Play Store on my PC and it showed up.

I will continue to work on it but it also appears that FEAT VPN may require more knowledge of OpenVPN than I have.....which is none. We'll see, I do like a challenge, but we're leaving the country in a few days and I am really busy right now.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  8. PaulyDefran

Make sure you read all the documentation on their site. I seem to recall slightly different 'steps' when using a tablet .vs a phone.

PD

9. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Is it correct that Feat VPN is not actually a VPN service, meaning they don't provide a server? It appears to be only a front-end for configuring OpenVPN to connect to someone else' service.

10. chinook9

I can't download FEAT VPN because its not compatible with ICS which I am running.

I'll keep on looking.

11. PaulyDefran

That is correct. Section 01 explains it. I also saw where 4.0 wasn't supported...sorry 'bout that.

PD

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.