Does True Image Restore All Programs' Settings?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by lateed, Aug 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lateed

lateed Registered Member

Does True Image backup / restore all custom settings in all my programs? I got the impression it did until I read this on the Acronis website (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/)

"Restore all the settings for Microsoft Office, iTunes, Windows Media Player and dozens of popular applications!"

That makes it sound like it only backs up / restores settings in certain applications. Is that true?

I need a program that can back things up in such a way that if I get a new hard drive / computer, I can simply take the files created during the backup process and within a few minutes (I'll even take a few hours), have a new hard drive operating just like the old one as if nothing had happened. Where all programs have the settings and tweaks that I have taken months to perfect. Does True Image do that?

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If you image your disk, and then restore it, your system will be exactly like it was when you took the image. Program,files,settings, etc.

Pete

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Sure. If you make a backup of your system disk with ATI, the image is of the entire disk excep the paging and hib ernation files which are rebuilt upon boot up and don't need to be saved. However, If you cahnge the hardware, you will need diff harware drivers than what your system is using for your current setup -- no way around that. So you generally can't just move everything that's on one computer to another aned expect it to work. Some programs need to be accomodated for diff hardware and this sometimes requires a reinstallation.

Bascially, you can't take a backup of a system disk from one computer and just walk over to a diff machine, with diff hardware, and restore the image and expect it to work. You have to accomodate the diff harware.

If you want to restore to a machine with the same hardware -- no prob, restoring the ATI backup will put everything there that was on the original disk when you backed it up.

sh

4. lateed

lateed Registered Member

Thanks, all! I'm glad to know that Acronis True Image will work.

The info about taking into consideration new hardware is good--I hadn't thought of that. That's probably because I've had my mind on preparing for a crash and, at the moment, I am just upgrading a hard drive.

In the situation where different hardware is an issue, can an ATI drive image still be restored, then whatever programs have new hardware considerations you just reinstall again? Or is it dangerous just to restore an ATI image on a new machine with different hardware?

P.S. In case it's helpful to anyone, to restore Windows settings and configurations, the Transfer Files & Settings Wizard works. For Firefox, use FEBE extension (and find online instructions about using profiles to restore it--restoring with FEBE is not as intuitive as it seems).

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello lateed,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please notice that it's safe to restore an image to different hardware, but the operating system is unlikely to boot. Please notice that Acronis solution for transferring the system to a different hardware is Acronis Universal Restore. Acronis Universal Restore technology provides an efficient solution for hardware-independent system restoration by replacing the crucial Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) and mass storage device drivers.

Note that Acronis Universal Restore is a plug-in for corporate versions of Acronis True Image.

Acronis Universal Restore is used with image archives and you can find basic instructions on how to use it here. Detailed instructions can be found in the User's Guides.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.