does toolwiz timefreeze work well in 64bit?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by taleblou, Jul 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

Hi:

I was wondering if timefreeze works well without any issue like crashes BSOD and etc. in 64bit windows 7 ultimate or windows 7 general? The last time I used a similar program from wondershare time freeze it crashed my pc and BSOD and has to reinstall windows.

I want to use it for virtualization and am hesitant because of the bad experience I had. So anyone please post here if it is doing fine with you and please tell me if any interfering or incompatibilities with any softwares or etc. Thanks in advance.

2. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Toolwiz TF is a very new software, so issues like these are to be expected while the developer irons bugs out of the code. When I installed it to my x64 Win7 x79 system it BSODed on the next reboot; but then again I also have Rollback RX and Shadow Defender installed which may be the reason why it crashed (BTW, RX and SD both work very well together on all my three systems).

I have tried almost everything out there that has to do with light virtualization, and for me Wondershare doesn't cut it either. It hasn't been updated for ages and its RAM usage implementation is buggy.

I noticed your post at the Comodo forums where I'm a member as well. If I were you I'd keep Comodo Internet Security and scrap Bufferzone Pro. I'd stick with Returnil RVS Lite, Deep Freeze, or Shadow Defender. The only free one of these is the Lite version of Returnil, and it works well. Shadow Defender hasn't really been updated for more than 2 years now, but it is still the ONLY one which can contain and fully undo infections by sophisticated rootits/bookits like the TDL3 (TDSS), and DL4 families, removing both the rootkit and its file system.

I see a good future for Toolwiz Time Freeze, it is being actively developed and it may include RAM utilization for the virtual buffer in the future, something that will be great for users with SSDs (I planted this idea with the developer and they are now working on it). Give it some more time. In the meantime you can't go wrong with Returnil RVS Lite or Shadow Defender (which still the best in my opinion).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  3. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Hi taleblou,

I have Toolwiz Time Freeze installed in Win 7 Home Premium, for some months without annoyances. I have it in Virtualized (Frozen) Mode ever, since I did junctions to my data partition; it is working like a charm here.

If you are thinking to try must be observed some points:

- After install do a normal restart in your PC;
    - If you have another virtualization app. (or snapshot based, like Comodo Time Machine, Rollback Rx, etc.), aditional precaution is welcomed (like a previous backup image).
    - In general there aren´t any critical problems reported in their forum when installing it.

Note: Never uninstall it with third part uninstallers. Many users are having troubles with them, once these uninstallers don't know to follow the correct order to uninstall TFF. Use TFF uninstaller only.

Good luck.

:cool:

4. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

I didn't think Returnil RVS Lite was free.

5. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I have two systems running Win7 64bit. One of them, TimeFreeze has no issues and works very well. On the other, I get a BSOD as soon as I install it. I tried to find out why, but gave up. I was forced to do an image restore. Tried a few more times and it's an immediate BSOD as soon as I reboot even in safe mode.

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

For me, WTF has been great. Now, I am in XP and don't have any other program alike installed. I use SBIE but there is no issue at all between them and I use both programs for different purposes. I see you have Rollback RX and Shadow Defender, probably that's why you had problems when installing either WTF or Toolwiz TF.

On my end, using RAM has never failed and its enabled in 3/5 seconds not 10 minutes like you mentioned earlier. Probably, if you try either of the TimeFreeze program without RX and SD in your system, it will work.

Bo

7. CyberMan969

Good catch Tomaz, I meant System Safe and wrote RVS (my mind is getting too old). Amended now, thanks for spotting the error.

8. CyberMan969

You're most probably right, I really wanted to use Wondershare because of the configurable RAM cache, but I wasn't ready to give up RX or SD to do it. On my next full restore I will try it again, this time without RX or SD. I think it will be fine.

The only other problem it had on my system was that I had to set the system font to default size in order to be able to see the whole WTF window; and if I do this then text is very very small and hard to read, especially on my two laptops. If I untick the XP compatibility box then I can pick a bigger font size (Medium, 125%) and still have the whole window shown, but then the whole display looks fuzzy and crap. I wish they could provide a fix for that. Wondershare seems to have abandoned development of this program, the same version has been out for the last two years, and it's a shame. Sometimes it makes me doubt if their team has the talent or the will to take the program any further.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  9. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

From your above comment, I assume you're using WTF 2.0 and not 1.0 -- right? As I remember, 1.0 didn't have the RAM option, but even so, it worked very well.

10. bo elam

Yes, I am using version 2.0. Never had a problem, I use it for trying programs, it works perfect for that.

Bo

11. bo elam

I am pretty sure you ll be fine when you try it again. I am using 2.0. There is a newer version that came out afterwards but the changes were nothing really so i did not upgrade my version.

Bo

12. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Tried TTF on my new HP lappy (Win7 x64) a few weeks ago and got a BSOD upon restarting! Removed it and next tried the most current version of WTF x64 which worked well enough although it took what I considered a very long time (about 30 sec) to enter its freeze-mode!!! Now I'm trying SD build 325 x64 and I find it works simply and smoothly (I just hate to hang my hat on software that's no longer being developed/supported). :(

Fwiw, I hadn't read any of the warnings about not using 3rd party uninstallers so I removed TTF and WTF using Revo and it went without a hitch. :p

Cruise

13. bo elam

14. littleturle

littleturle Registered Member

I started testing Toolwiz Time Freeze since last week on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and it works fine so far. no major issue. Did not encounter BSOD at all. (anybody else had BSOD?)

after installation it requires to restart but I did not do it. it still worked fine. I just updated to the 1.9.2.0. Still works as it was.

(wanted to attach a screenshot but it looks pretty much the same as the website. no major UI change)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.