Does TI9, 2337 Recovery CD support Maxtor Ultra ATA 133?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by MPSAN, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

TI9, 2337 Recovery CD does NOT support Maxtor Ultra ATA 133?

I had done a full image of my Maxtor ATA 200GB drive attached to the Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Card (Promise Ultra 133TX2). The image on my ATA 100 drive is fine.

I did a restore after the OS died (don't ask) and it will not boot. It also shows the 200GB drive as 128GB. Does this mean that the Recovery CD (Linux) does not see the >128GB barrier?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2006
  2. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

3. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Driver had been updated, but rescue CD will never see that as it is Linux based. The only thing that could help would be the card's firmware. Mine is at 2.20.0050.10, but this is the Cards BIOS, and not a windows driver.

4. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

OK, this is now a STATEMENT and not a question!

I moved the drive to the main IDE and did the restore. I then put it back on the Maxtor PCI card and all is now OK.

It is a pain, but I hope the recovery CD will support this card in the future. For now I will tell my wife to be carefull.

I guess I could have done the restore from TI9 in windows but just felt that a restore to the boot drive was better in the rescue CD!

5. Bruce Mahnke

Glad to hear that it worked out. My card has the same FW version as yours. By the way the driver version here reports v.2.0.50.42 as displayed in Device Manager.

6. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Thanks, Bruce. Yes, I believe the driver has not been changed in a while. At least I know that I can always move the drive to the normal onboard IDE if a restore is required and even then, I can try a restore from within Windows first in the future.

However, this is a popular card and I am surprised that the rescue cd (linux) does not support it for >128GB drives!

7. Bruce Mahnke

That driver isn't new. Its dated 6/25/2002 but it works very well. I've seen where Windows can't recognize drives > 128 GB unless it was installed. I do understand the Linux issue that you mentioned. Another thought that I have is your system BIOS set to boot from a SCSI device? That could also be a factor.

Bruce

8. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

BIOS is set OK. Remember, this was a working setup. Only issue was using the Recovery CD.

Take care,

Dave

9. Bruce Mahnke

Thanks Dave,

I've been trying to come up with some other ideas but at this point I don't have any additional thoughts. Hopefully Acronis support can make some comments. What is surprising to me is that using the same Maxtor card with Seagate drives it is working correctly here. The Seagate drives have a 'capacity' of 160 GB and the size is reported as 149 GB which is the way Seagate does things. This size is reported as 149 GB in Windows also. I trust that you are using a Rescue Media CD created from build 2337 (I have not gone back to read the previous specifics). Wish I could offer more but at the moment I'm out of ideas. Good luck.

Best regards,
    Bruce Mahnke

10. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Yup, used proper rescue media. Anyway, it all worked by taking it off the card for the restore and then putting it back again before I did a reboot.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello MPSAN,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please boot from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 and create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post?

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please keep your hard drive connected to the Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Card while creating Acronis Report and Linux system information.

Please also let us know what you mean exactly when saying that you "did a restore after the OS died (don't ask) and it will not boot". Have you received any error messages when tried to boot into the restored operating system? What exact messages have you received?

Please submit a request for technical support with the subject indicating that you want to contact Alexey Popov. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

12. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

Hello Support.

>Please also let us know what you mean exactly when >saying that you "did a restore after the OS died (don't >ask) and it will not boot". Have you received any >error messages when tried to boot into the restored >operating system? What exact messages have you >received?

What I meant was that I did the restore to the drive connected to the Card and it will not boot, saying the "OS was not found". The TI9 rescue CD shows this 200GB drive, when attached to the Maxtor PCI card, as 128GB. In Windows it is fine.

So, I resolved it by putting the 200GB drive on the Onboard IDE port...setting the jumper to slave, and doing the restore...but, of course, I was not using the Ultra ATA 133 controller card. The drive was shown as 200GB (actually 189+GB) and the restore went fine.

Then I shut off the system, reconnected the restored 200GB drive to the card, set the jumper back to master, and all is OK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.