Does TI v9.1 change the MBR at any time?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pvsurfer, Mar 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

If you don't want to use the TI Recovery Manager would it be a problem at all? Or is that the problem.

2. zoril

zoril Registered Member

Please let me know if the two programs work well together? If so then two backup options can't be a bad thing.........................Howard

3. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I have never used the Secure Zone and Recovery Mgr functionality of TI, nor do I plan on doing so.

My original question specifically regarded imaging the entire C-drive (so as to capture the MBR & track 1), and ultimately restoring that image to a new (replacement) C-drive by using TI's boot CD. From the replies I've received here (as well as from RollBack Rx support yesterday) no conflict is anticipated.

4. pvsurfer

Well I just created my first ATI image with RollBack installed. It was successful as was the image-check. The only concern I still have is if and when I have to replace a failing/crashed C-drive, whether or not that image will restore correctly to the replacement drive... The reason for that concern is that the image will contain a RollBack-modified MBR. :doubt:

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi pvsurfer,

As you've created a "whole disk" image (thereby capturing the modified MBR) then, provided you select the "whole disk" rather than just the individual partition(s) to restore to the new drive, I can't see there being a problem.

Regards

6. pvsurfer

My thinking exactly, but since I don't have a 'low-risk' way of testing this with my current hardware, I'll just have to 'keep the faith' that it will work! :doubt:

~pv

7. zoril

zoril Registered Member

PVSurfer:)

I think I worded my last reponse badly. What I was trying to say is this:-

If you have originally completed a "whole disk" image of your disk, or a series of images with ATI, then you installed Rollback. As you said Rollback will change and take over the MBR - but will Acronis be able to restore the original images over that MBR, or would it be necessary to remove Rollback from your system and then FDISK /mbr to restore the MBR first?

I imagine you might have had to do that if Acronis had used the "Startup Recovery Manager" option?

I can understand if Rollback were installed first then imaged later by ATI - naturally assuming that ATI had not changed the MBR with Startup Recovery Manager, that restoring the image hopefully would be ok.

Have you tried restoring any Acronis image since installing Rollback? If successful then you have the best of both worlds. Please let us know if you do. It makes sense to have a second line of defence to protect important data on your computer.....................Howard:)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.