does TI save registry?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jdzworld, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdzworld

jdzworld Registered Member

i was wondering this. The reason i ask is because i had an image saved on cds that i thought i had got rid of the virus(cws.homesearchassisstant) completely. (even not in registry)
    Several days later, i run an activescan and it reports homesearchasisstant being in my registry. so i thought i could just delete the whole partition and restore a TI image. ive done that now and activescan still says its in my registry. i cannot, for the life of me, find it w/ my registry search programs either. i know the virus itself is disinfected because i can now search the internet again. yet it makes me mad that it says its in my registry. so i guess TI doesnt save registry

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

That's a good question, jdzworld.

In my case I made an image of the entire C drive. I assumed it did. Isn't the registry saved somewhere on C?

3. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

The registry is effectively just a Windows database and yes it does get backed up when you backup your system partition.

4. jdzworld

well i guess it was there when i backed up the system. ill try to get rid of it and then make another TI backup. thx.

5. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Have you tried using the free Spybot - Search and Destroy? I can recommend it to anyone. You can get it here ...

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Also Javacool's Spywareblaster which is also free ...

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/index.html

And not forgetting Acronis Privacy Expert. I have all these products because you have to be so very careful these days with so much spyware around. It's a menace!

The virus you mentioned is a Internet Explorer home page hijacker.

Once you have it removed then do a 'full' backup of your C: drive and you should be virus free if you need to restore in the future.

Safe computing!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  6. jdzworld

thx 4 the suggestions pjb....ive already got those + like 3 other spyware programs alone(lol). not to mention my firewall,etc.
    i was even running a limited acct and it still got in my registry. i disinfected the virus a wk and a half ago yet it still detects something in my registry. ive even tried deleting and reinstalling xp and it still says it. i dunno...but i hope i can get rid of this mess. this spyware crap is ridicoulous...youre right

7. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello jdzworld,

If you haven't already done so, I recommend you visit the <TomCoyote Forum>, register as a member and then carry out a search of the Computer Help Forum for the term "homesearch". You will find lots of really good advice on how to remove this insidious, self mutating, browser hijacker.

Due to personal circumstances that you can read about, the owner of this excellent Web Site, Tom Coyote Wilson, is struggling to keep the site up and running. Therefore, if you find the advice provided useful, you may wish to make a voluntary donation via the link at the top of his Forum page.

Regards

Last edited: Aug 17, 2005
  8. jdzworld

thx. i tried several of those topics on those forums yet no luck. i just deleted everything again and now the virus is gone!!! glad its just like 5gb to restore!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.