Does TI 10 Validate the Entire Backup Location?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by bulldog356, Jan 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulldog356

bulldog356 Registered Member

Yesterday I decided to check the progress of a backup archive I was creating with TI 10.

Some details: I setup a Backup Location on a second internal hard disk. In this Backup Location I make daily full images of my system partition, with a limit of seven images. So far, this arrangement has been working great. TI is setup to validate an image after its creation.

When I took a look at the 'progress meter' for my backup I couldn't believe what I was seeing: The backup was on the image validation step, and there was 1 hour and 17 minutes left! When I image my system partition manually, the whole thing, with validation, takes about 8 minutes.

Is TI 10 validating the entire Backup Location every time a new image is added?

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Yes, it validates the entire Backup Location Folder, each and every time. Some time ago I had some back and forth emails with Acronis Support, and I'm sort of maybe a little bit tentatively hopeful that they might consider thinking about perhaps correcting this in the next release. Maybe.

3. bulldog356

Until Acronis changes this behavior, is there a work-around, or is the only solution to omit verification for archives in Backup Locations?

4. CatFan432

There is no work around that I'm aware of, I'd very much like to have one. It's just a huge waste of time to re-validate the same files over and over. I've disabled the automatic validation and run a manual one when my backup is done and when I remember to do it. I'm a home user and my images are relatively small, so this works for me, but would be problematic in a business setting or with large files. It's been some time since I've seen this issue on the forum, I'm surprised there haven't been more complaints.

5. Steve1209

Steve1209 Registered Member

Bulldog,

I can Verify Catfan know's his stuff on this (from a previous thread he was oh so helpful on with me in creating back-up versions under TI10) and I can also say my Back-up with Verification took 9 minutes longer when I did the back-up on the 2nd night than the first night, I am keeping 7 back-up's also on my external WD 250GB drive, Just because I can, to me it's NO big deal if the Validation takes all nite, I start the back-up at 12:15AM when I'm usually sound asleep anyways.

Steve

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The present way validations are done is a terrible waste of time and resources.
    I gave up using validations long ago for two reasons. The images are always good after they complete sucessfully and I regularly restore them to exchangable hard drives. This incidentally is a lot faster and does a heck of a lot more than a validation.

Xpilot

7. bulldog356

For now...if it's possible to do validation as a "post" command - and I don't know how you would do that - but would that prevent TI 10 from validating the entire Backup Location?

8. CatFan432

I don't know where to start on a post command for this, so I'm no help there. Hopefully another member will weigh in.

This would be an excellent time for Acronis Support to post a response here and let us know if the next release will do away with the redundant validation.

9. GreenWing

GreenWing Registered Member

Add me to the list who thinks this is crazy...I just realized that all full disk backups on my 500GB backup location are being validated each night...That's crazy...This needs to be fixed...

Now I have to set up scheduled tasks for each night of the week and can only have 7 archives...

ACRONIS: This needs to be fixed...

Greenwing

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.