Does this look familiar?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by KaneComputing, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZeroBits

ZeroBits Registered Member

Just followed the steps above and my VM booted without issue. I added a 3.1gb iso to the primary snapshot onto the desktop, updated the archive, booted to secondary, and updated the primary from archive. No boot issues here when switching back to primary. If it sounds like I missed a step please let me know. I'm interested in how Raxco handles Acadia's support ticket.

This test was run under VMware10 on a Windows 8.1 guest and host utilizing a compressed secondary snapshot in InstantRecovery.

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks once again ZeroBits! You've been very helpful.

I really want FD-ISR but I'm not sure I can trim my OS install down far enough. I also don't want to spend $150 for a new 256GB SSD. I could get another 1TB WD HDD for $60 and use it as my boot drive but I'm not sure how much of a performance hit I would take. Decisions, decisions :doubt:

Off topic but does AX64 have bootable snapshots and archives like IR? Can they be stored on a 2nd HDD? I want to keep my options open and other than this sale I'm not in a hurry for such a program. I just want it to play with and try new programs.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

From a bunch of testing I've done, you may get different results in a VM machine. You won't know unless you do it on live hardware. Better to prepare and test it then assume because it worked in the VM machine, it will work for real.

Pete

4. Peter2150

Answer is both yes and no. It's not like FDISR, but you can actually achieve the same thing and better. But this isn't the place to discuss it. Start a thread in the forum where the AX64 thread is.

Pete

5. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Well, they answered very quickly which did not surprise me. They want me to send them the log from InstantRestore. Problem: Using AXTM I already recovered my system so that IR no longer exists. I would have to uninstall AXTM again then reinstall IR again. Don't know if I want to bother, will have to think a bit on this. :doubt:

Acadia

6. Peter2150

Well I figured out what was causing the problem that both Acadia and I saw, and I report with a smile, I figured it out using my virtual machine.

When all else fails look at those log files. When doing snapshots there is no issue, but when restoring from an Archive, it has to do some magic with the BCD, and it involves moving and recovering it from the c:\windows temp folder. I notice in the log there was an error in this. The I noticed Appguard was blocking an attempt to access the Windows temp folder. So to confirm.

1. I restored from the archive with Appguard set to install. Restore and boot to primary worked fine.

2. Went back to the secondary and did another archive restore this time with Appguard on. Again Boot to Primary failed. But it allows you to boot back into the secondary so...

3. Back in the secondary, I did another restore with Appguard off. Restore and boot to primary worked fine.

QED

So if you use this new puppy be ware of security software

Pete

7. dickcu

dickcu Registered Member

Yes it did matter. I couldn't do anything with it because as you say, different hardware and the resolution was off but I could see that it would load and the snapshot was did work.

8. dickcu

dickcu Registered Member

Yes it did matter with the different hardware. Resolution was way off, etc. However, Windows opened and I could see that it did open the snapshot normally.

9. WWS

WWS Registered Member

Thanks, dickcu, for answering my question.

10. ZeroBits

ZeroBits Registered Member

I just logged in to say I would do a hardware install this weekend! I'm glad things have been figured out, but will go ahead and test anyhow. I don't need any surprises when real life recoveries come into play.

11. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Not sure I understand what is happening.
    • I don't have any problems with FD ISR and appguard
    • Did you set the ISR as a power app in app guard?
    • Could you boot to the primary from the preboot menu

otr does appgaurd need to be diasbled for the creation of the snapshot

12. Peter2150

Couple of aspects.

First, I just don't like using Power Apps in Appguard. Might test it though

Second Did you try restoring from an archive. That was the only prlace the problem showed up.

Third. Once the problem showed up, no you couldn't boot into the primary from the preboot. There was no operating system to boot to.

Pete

13. Peter2150

Another thing to come out of this is realizing the Raxco support is still the best.

Acadia got me involved, and their response has been remarkable. Stay tuned.

Pete

14. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

I sure wish Todd was involved.

I'd jump on this in a minute if I thought he had some sort of leadership or consulting position in the new software.

15. starfish_001

I will test the archive restoration in my VM on windows 8-1 and then try it in the real world. Swapping out FD for this newer version

16. Peter2150

He does from what I was told.

17. pratzert

Thanks Peter. Do you think there is any chance he would make a brief comment on the forum on his involvement ?

I know you said you think Raxco prefers any support to go thru them, but some small comment from Todd would be great.

18. Peter2150

I have no idea. I get the impression from what others have been told, that they probably won't come to Wilders at this point.

Also I suspect their thrust is going to be enterprise.

Pete

19. starfish_001

After a bit of testing in a VM I tried to install this on my main machine that had FD ISR - a disaster

• Uninstalled FD IRS
    • Rebooted
    • Installed Instant recovery - trial expired a fresh install so that bit of code must be from FD
    • entered full code yep bought it without even testing it (my faith in Todd) - an error .......key is not unique and does not change the status from trial
      and a Runtime error 35602 every time I try and use the software. Not a good start!
    • Uninstall back to First defense except now that has the same runtime error.

FS and IR both broken - at least I have a a full image from last night

I guess I will need to restore from my image

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  20. starfish_001

Um deleting all of my snapshots and doing a full uninstall and several reboots has Fd working again.:)

I think Ill wait for RAXco before installing the new product again o_O

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Question for those of you familiar with FirstDefense who may have tried the new InstantRecovery.

At Panagiotis's suggestion, I had been using FDISR for years adding the following to the "Excluded Files" in the "Tasks" tab which already contains *.tmp by default:

*{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}
    pagefile.sys
    hiberfil.sys

How are you folks using the new IR? Have you added anything to the Excluded Files besides the *.tmp?

Thanks,
    Acadia

EDIT: I went ahead and excluded those files, everything on IR (so far) working perfectly.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  22. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Update. The new InstantRecovery is still working perfectly. Raxco appears to have fixed a few minor bugs, bugs that never prevented me from using the original FirstDefense because recovery ALWAYS worked. I've tested this new IR every way that I can think of.

Two things. First, those of you using the splendid program Appguard must realize that there is a MINOR conflict between the two. I believe a fix, easy to do believe me, is going to appear shortly on the Raxco website. Second, I am not using Data Anchoring but I never did anyway. Those of you using Data Anchoring on either the original FD or the new IR, any problems?

At this point Raxco appears to have made a nearly perfect (in my opinion) program even better. Only only problem: I MISS MY CROAKING FROGGIE. :'(

Acadia

23. pratzert

Hi Greg.

Thanks for the info on the upgrade discount.

Does Raxco offer any "Multi-Machine" license discount ?

I plan to use the software on my Laptop and Desktop at home.

Or is a separate license required for each machine ?

Regards.

24. pratzert

Greg. Thanks again !

25. gregshayes

gregshayes Registered Member

Actually, I found out from Customer Service that there is no quantity restriction on that coupon code. So, the discount applies to quantities of 1 or more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.