Does this look familiar?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by KaneComputing, Dec 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaneComputing

KaneComputing Registered Member

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

If it is indeed FD-ISR, unless it is faster, why would I use it. AX64 is so much faster. But will AX64 survive? That is the question.

Pete

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. KaneComputing

I am pulling for AX64 for sure. It's been great for me so far.

From Raxco on their FB page, in response to my query:
    Cheers,

David

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Looks interesting, I missed the boat with FDISR, wonder if this would add any value to my existing set up w/Shadow Defender running full time or if they would even co-exist, guess I'll have to check it out once its released.

5. Peter2150

ShadowDefender was fine with the original FD-ISR. But I never ran ShadowDefender full time.

I called and asked aboutthe 100mb partition, and the sales fellow wasn't sure, but presumably they have addressed that.

Decisions, decisions.

Pete

6. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!! Just when you think it is finally time to make the jump to AX64 Time Machine for good (I did just a few days ago), this precious gem reincarnates. (And yes, this is the same FD-ISR with one or two extra new features). Well, at least now we have TWO excellent ISR programs to choose between.

Like Peter said, "Decisions, decisions". o_O

Acadia

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  7. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

...wouldn't it be nice from Leapfrog / Raxco to think of people who bought FirstDefense-Rescue Workstation by then, hoping for the new features to come... :cool:

Thanks David for reporting here this interesting news !

8. LoneWolf

9. KaneComputing

raxco1.jpg

First look.

Cheers,

David

10. LoneWolf

Trial downloaded,user guide saved,
    will install and give this a go when time permits,
    hopefully this weekend.
    Thanks for the info and the screen shot KaneComputing. :thumb:

11. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Never heard about this program until I actively started using this forum. Tried it couple of times, but couldn't understand it. Maybe, should try it again as it is highly respected on this forum.

Though, I own AX64 like some of us on this forum.

Best regards,

Mohamed

12. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Aahh..
    Well, Well .. it seems an old friend resurfaces; with improvements and new OS compatibilty :)

Just as I was about to rejig my systems.

Pure speculation: after HDS trashed FDISR at the time: maybe some <ahem> contractual obligations have lapsed.

Now where did I put that 'Todd Lear' thingy...

Subject to the new Instant Recovery actually delivering;I hope there will be enough momentum to get a good consumer base.
    I hope this time round Raxco will make a go of it.

Raxco has a good rep and user base to leverage.
    New tool built on very mature software base !!

If the news around the world about 'lost' servers is anything to go by then Raxco has a good shot !!

Wonder if this "new" tool will work with FDISR snapshots ?
    Wonder if there may be a discount upgrade for any users who may have purchased from Raxco in the past? Heh

I well recall the truly excellent support from Raxco and from the screenies so far, looking like a very familiar interface, and by description, some upgrades to the tool.

Hey Pete, you're sounding a bit pessimistic.
    I prolly not troubled by that decision: not yet tried AX64, but, FDISR has been an absolute rock for me, and never really conflicted with any other tools.

That will be interesting. Need more info there.

@ PAndlouk ... interested? ;)
    Maybe RAXCO have been watching panagiotis sort out W7 & W8. :)

Any techy details re new tools, particularly re W7 and W8 installs ??
    LOL: anyone got a spare FDISR W7 or W8 snapshot to test Instant Rescue :D

Any forum links? :cautious:

It's almost enough to make me get a FB page if that's what Raxco is going to use for comms.

@Mods: any connections with Raxco ?? Very experienced user base and sort of KB here that may be of some use ??

Anyhoo: no burning of bridges or ticker tape yet; early days, but, very intriguing news.

Regards

13. Peter2150

Hi Longboard

Not pessimistic, but I have completely rock solid for me. I wasn't able to easily adapt the old FDISR to my new Win 7 machines, so decided to try AX64. Have it on all 4 computers, and it has worked great.

The reason for my comment:

1) AX64 has replace both my imaging solution (SP), my rollback type solution, and the need for ShadowDefender.

2) Speed. AX64 is just blazing fast. I now do things, that would be a bit time prohibitive with the FDISR approach

That being said I am glad to see this development as it does give us options.

I did talk to the fellow at Raxco who was listed as point man, and yes, I bet they will be back here. In fact it may be Todd himself.

Pete

14. KaneComputing

There appear to be two versions, instant recovery for business and instant rescue for consumers. Consumer trial not available yet.

Cheers,

David

15. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Bingo on both questions, thank you!! AX64, which I've only been using for not quite a week, has been great and bazingly fast, but great for consumers to have two excellent programs to choose from. This new program has a couple of extra features and I am not sure about the Archiving feature, their statement is confusing.

Acadia

16. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

They have a User Guide (pdf) available at
    -http://ftp.raxco.com/pub/download/instantrecovery/userguides/InstantRecovery_User_Guide.pdf

17. KaneComputing

From Raxco about differences between consumer and business versions:

Cheers,

David

18. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Excellent info, ruinebabine and KaneComputing, thanks. Looks like the archiving feature is the same as the original (excellent) if you are willing to pay for the business version.

Acadia

19. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

Thanks for the info.

Nice to see FD-ISR revive (even though for me never died...) with a different name.

From what I read and since it supports BitLocker should be compatible with the 100mb partition.

Other than that, being able to install on a system where the boot partition is different from the system partition (needed for bitlocker's encryption), everything else seems the same with the old version; which is a good thing since it is not crippled down.

But.... I cannot understand some of the (marketing's? / programmer's?) decisions:
    1. Still they have not introduced a differential archiving... e.g. take a full archive and then create differential archives based on that.
    That would make it more appealing since it would save lots of space and would solve the problem of the enormous snapshots and archives. In the space used by 2 archives, the user would have been able to save 1 full archive and dozens of differentials.
    2. InstantRecovery (FD-ISR) even if it is superb, will confuse most users (e.g. my brother in law never grasped it's full potential even though I did explained it to him in detail). InstantRescue (FD-Rescue) is far more user friendly but will never sale big time, unless they add the ability to create/import/export/update archives (at least 1 archive to be used as a fail safe mechanism).
    3. FD-ISR technology (with some file/registry tweaks) could be used for IT centralized management and update/upgrade deployment and would be a great alternative to virtualization; but no such feature/version yet...

ps. Without enhancing both products, I do not see how they will survive in their current form when in that form have failed to survive in the past.... Bitlocker and new OSes support is good but not enough in this case.

my 2 cents,
    Panagiotis

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  20. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

pandlouk, your "2 cents" is worth a million dollars to me. Have to agree with you on almost all points. The only reason I don't agree 100% is because some technical jargon is above my head and I don't understand the business aspect of it, but you are probably right seeing how Raxco failed to make an excellent product fly last time.

I only stopped using FDISR less than a week ago. The ONLY reason that I continued to use it for so many satisfying years is COMPLETELY AND ONLY because of your expertise and willingness to share your knowledge. Well, time will tell. If Raxco does not bring the price down for those of us who already purchased the original version (and many, many of us, multiple licenses) then I will have to use the original ... but what would I lose, nothing. (But that is only if I become disenchanted with AX64).

Acadia

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  21. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Like FD-ISR, not for SSD users then obviously

22. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dearest Panagiotis,

Superb insights and always on the mark. You hit the nail on the head. I believe you tried to help me how to use it, but I couldn't grasp the value of it. Though, it amazes me that it always had and still has such a large loyal following, but I couldn't see why due to lack of my fully grasping the program to it's full potential as your brother-in-law.

But, maybe due to AX64 things have moved on, unless we are into nostalgia. MAYBE! :)

No disrespect to the loyal users, neither I want this thread to be turned into something else, like comparing two superb programs.

Best regards,

Mohamed

23. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I had been using FDISR on a SSD since November 2012 until last week, worked just fine.

Acadia

24. Empath

Empath Registered Member

I don't know that they're as interested in service, as Leapfrog was. I purchased the Instant Recovery (business) on Thursday. The receipt from Cleverbridge, and PDF files gave me the link for downloading. They claimed my "receipt" would provide the activation code, but it didn't. I've been emailing Cleverbridge, asking them for the activation code, but they appear to be ignoring me.

The money came out of my account very quickly, but it looks like all I got was a $70 trial package. It looks like I'll need to reverse the charge.

25. Peter2150

Contact Raxco Support. They will be Johnny on the spot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.