Does the Windows update process wuauclt.exe just kill your XP desktop?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

First of all, I kind of expect to see it running Tuesday/Wednesday but Friday afternoon took me by surprise, as I do not have any MS security applications installed. It uses as high as 80% of 1GB of RAM (Not it alone of course!) compared to low 30% usage while browsing with about 10 enable Ff extensions. Anyway, can I restrict its CPU with Process Lasso and would it hurt anything. It pretty much can bring this ole girl to a stop! Thank you!

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

I tried Process Lasso once for a few days. Didn't really seem to do quite what it's supposed to, from my experience with it.

You always have the option of disabling Microsoft Auto Updates altogether.

You should know that updates are released every second Tuesday of the month.
    Enable Auto Updates on that day, then go to the site and manually download and install your updates, then turn off Auto Updates again until the next second Tuesday of the month.

You still get your updates, and the wuauclt.exe process won't be randomly intruding on other things you're doing.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Good plan! Don't forget to remind me. lol I do wonder what it was up to today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.