Does the "Enable 3rd Party Browser" option only exist in IE 6.0?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sk, Dec 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sk

sk Registered Member

Hey. The reinstall of W2K went pretty well. I'm not getting inexplicable blank pages any longer; flash is now able to be installed (the wisdom of installing it notwithstanding); and by stopping at 5.5 and not going to 6.0, I have been able to avoid the 'disappearing gif' problem. But somewhere in the course of 'only' upgrading from IE 5 to IE 5.5, the Advanced option of "Enable 3rd Party Browsers" does not appear to have been included. I don't know if that's crucial; just that since I use AdShield, and one of its main instructions is to make sure that that option is checked, I was concerned. I poured all through the gpedit module and saw every conceivable option to either enable or not, but did not see the 3rd party browser option. It does seem that AdShield is working properly as is, but I just wanted to know if it's an option that didn't get introduced until 6.0. And/or if anybody has a handy registry fix to add it into 5.5. Thanks. And HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :D

sk

2. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

sk - You are correct - "Enable 3rd Party Browsers" was not a setting included in any IE browser prior to IE6.

Apparently, the issue you're referring to in re: to AdShield is that you must enable that option if you're running IE6.

From this page: http://www.adshield.org/support.html

Problem:
    The AdShield dialogs do not appear when the AdShield menu items are selected. The browser displays an "Invalid syntax error" page which states that "The page cannot be displayed". Probable Cause:
    Please be sure to reboot your system after installing. This is especially important when upgrading from a previous version. If you're using Internet Explorer 6 be sure to check its option "Enable third-party browser extensions (requires restart)". This option appears on the Advanced tab of the Internet Options... dialog which is found on the Tools menu.
    Microsoft support article Q229970 confirms that a bug in Internet Explorer 5.0 prevents the loading of more than one browser helper object. As a result of this bug AdShield may be incompatible with some component of a product already installed on your system. In particular, the problem has been noted on systems where the nzdd.dll from RealNetworks has been installed and on systems where the amcis.dll from Radiate (formerly Aureate) has been installed. The Radiate "product" is spyware that I, personally, would remove from my own system. For more information about spyware and what can be done about it see the OptOut page at the Gibson Research Corporation site. Microsoft states and my own tests indicate that the bug is fixed in Internet Explorer 5.01. If you are still experiencing this problem with AdShield after upgrading your browser to the latest version please let me know and I will investigate further."

IOW, IE5.01 and IE5.5 do not experience the problem - and neither would IE6 as long as you had that selection checked in the "Advanced" section - with IE5.5, you don't need a reg hack. HTH Pete

3. sk

sk Registered Member

Wohooo! :D :D :eek: :cool: :)

(Hey, Spy1, you know a LOT for a newbie with only 3 posts!!)
    ;)
    Happy New YEAR!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.