Does Sandboxie contents get securely deleted?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by monstermash, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monstermash

monstermash Guest

Does anyone know if when you delete your Sandboxie history, is it securely deleted? Can this data be recovered later with any of the plentiful file recovery programs available? If it isn't securely deleted how can we securely delete this data? Could a program like Eraser be used? How? Thanks for help.

2. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi Brinn,

I looked at the home page for CleanCache v3.0 and it states it removes index.dat files along with:
    # Temporary Internet Files and index.dat
    # Internet Explorer History and index.dat

Do you happen to know if it also wipes out the index.dat file located in the path: C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\OfflineCache (for WinXP, maybe others)

Removing that index.dat file prevents System Information from running.

-- Tom

4. Brinn

Brinn Registered Member

As far as I can tell, it only removes index.dat from Temp Internet Files, History and Cookies. Also, anything it cleans is listed and can be checked/unchecked according to what the user wants cleaned.

Eraser can be used to clean out the SandboxIE default box but I'm not completely sure about the sandboxed registry edits. There's a file in the sandbox called registry.dat but I'm not about to play with it.

5. securityx

securityx Registered Member

I often wonder this about Sandboxie, ShadowSurfer/User and Deep Freeze. When the programs "dump" their snapshots (or whatever you choose to call them) how easy is it to get inside those dumped "snapshots" and read the information forensically?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.