Does ProcessGuard protect IE vulnerability?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Cybermav, Aug 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cybermav

Cybermav Registered Member

Hi
    Does Process guard protect IE vulnerability ?

/Nukie
    :D

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

no, and afaik, no program can protect against its vulnerabilities but u can secure ie with ie-spyad and enough is enough.

3. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Cybermav

The best way to protect yourself from IE vulnerabilitys, is to use Firefox. ;)

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

4. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

what "IE vulnerability"? i am not aware of any "IE vulnerability" other than allowing users to download files that could potentially be packed with malware..

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

http://secunia.com/product/11/#advisories

6. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

thanks for the link, rich.. i like to be informed about current vulnerabilities..

7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

You're welcome.

Rich

8. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Hi.
    It depends on what "IE vulnerability" you talk about.
    And even if one can makes use of "IE vulnerability" to attack your computer, it doesn't mean process guard will fail to protect you. For example, a hacker succeeds in sneaking into your computer. When it tries to install some mouse-/key-loggers, process guard may be able to alert you about that. Thus it saves you!

Regarding how to keep oneself to the least exposure, one suggestion may be to use other internet browser. There are several alternatives like Mozilla Suite, Firefox, Opera etc.

I'm going to explain about the security between IE and other browsers.

** the insidious danger of IE
    Read this: http://secunia.com/product/11/#advisories
    It dangerous rating is 4: highly critical (5 is max.)
    One of its bad design is it tries to integrate it with windows. That's too bad!! This gives IE abnormal power to perform things which we rarely need. If being abused by hackers, we are doomed.

** IE can be safe too provided that...
    Altho people feel IE is particularly dangerous, it can still be kept safe if properly configured. What you need to do is to set your IE's security to max. (Yes, it has to be max. in order to be SAFE!). To do so:
    -- 1) go to "Tools | Internet Options | Security Tab".
    There are 4 zones. You should set:
    - "Internet Network" & "Restricted Zone" to high;
    - other zones to "medium" (IMPORTANT: don't set them to "mid-low" or "low"!! There's still chance a hacker can manage to add its site to these lists)

-- 2) go to "Tools | Internet Options | Cookie Tab".
    Set it to "high or even "totally banned"

-- Note: extra work is required to maintain browsing functionality while maximizing security.
    After that, your browser is much safer. However bear in mind, this will affect some legitimate sites too. You need to add legitimate sites to trusted zone AND/OR to "permit cookies" lists (if needed) in order to maintain browsing functionality while maximizing security.

** If you don't wish extra work, or you wish to more browsing features which IE misses
    It's time for you to use other browsers!
    Some browsers:
    Freeware
    - Firefox http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
    - Mozilla Suite http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/

Shareware
    - Opera http://www.opera.com/
    Browser free with ad. Paid for no ad.

(Next Post)

9. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

** Why other browsers are better than IE?
    - open source
    Some browsers are open source projects (eg Mozilla Suite, Firefox). It means there may be thousands of programmers working on it. Surely it raises very good chances to catch & fix the hole before a bad guy can exploit it.

- discard some IE insecure design
    Other browsers will not be stupid enough to integrate their browsers with windows, but IE does.
    Other browsers discard or highly restrict the harmful ActiveX and other malicious codes. ActiveX is the heaven for bad guys, and IE uses it.

- far fewer people use other browsers
    It may be strange, but this fact is also an advantage. Each browser has different potential holes for them to hack, but it needs time to find and exploit it. While firefox is growing to somewhat 6% of the whole market in 2005, IE still occupies about 90% of the market. If you are a hacker, which do you choose to hack?

- more functionality
    IE hasn't been improved for years (I think it should be about 6-8years). Other browsers has implemented a lot of great features which can boost our browsing experiences. Up till 9 Aug 2005, I'm using Mozilla Suite. What I fancy it most is the "extension" base. the browser itself is simple, but the functionality can be unlimited. What you need is to add suitable extensions to your browser.
    Some functionality includes link management, download management, mouse gestures, session saver (remember your tabs/windows every time you browse), crash protection, bookmark search & synchronization, bugmenot (no more bugging about registration!), automark, pagemakr, remove annoying contents (eg ad, disgusting image/text and so on), and much much more.
    Without these extensions, I think I would rather die!!

**Some myths about other browsers being safer
    - other browsers are bug-free
    No browser is bug-free. You may have this illusion because you don't realize their bugs. Let's look at the version number. Each browser keeps releasing their newer versions/patches. That implies there are security holes/bugs which they have to fix. This process will never end.
    Golden rule: No software is bug-free. Every software is always buggy (some may be more buggy; while some less buggy).

- other browsers are inherently safer
    It may appear true. But I would like to raise some factors you may wish to consider before making such a claim:
    ......## other design flaws ##
    While other browsers do not implement what are considered bad in IE (integration with Windows, ActiveX), they themselves may have their own design flaws which we may not notice.
    ......## the market share of other browsers ##
    As I said previously, hackers tend to attack IE much more often than other browsers. Now it seems true that other browsers are safer – you hear no security flaws/exploits news from other browsers. However if it turned out to be another browser being the king of the market, the situation may be reverse. Hackers are more keen to find bugs/holes in your browser. We would then realize both its bright & dark sides at that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.