Does Prevx free block files?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by asdx5, Feb 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdx5

asdx5 Registered Member

I'm using Prevx 3.0.5.80 in evaluation mode (free version) with safe online disabled. OS Vista 64 HP.
    If I try to copy my Firefox user folder somewhere to make a backup, Vista displays a window that continuously asks for permission (admin rights). The copy fails because -it says- I don't have rights to write on the destination folder (it doesn't matter which one: I tried on the same folder, on the desktop, on another hard disk and partition, always same result).
    The issue occurs only with two (very critical for security) files:
    signons.sqlite
    signons3.txt

So, Why am I writing all these things here? Because if I temporary disable Prevx, I can do the copy without any issue.
    I wonder why Prevx seems to block my copy. The free version should not do anything at all except monitor the situation, I think. Note that I don't have any alarm or message from Prevx when I have that issue.

2. asdx5

asdx5 Registered Member

Now I am using 3.0.5.85 and I have yet the same issue described in my previous post.
    I have done a video demonstration of this issue downloadable from here.
    Just download the 3 files in the same folder and launch "prevx.htm" with your browser to see the video.

3. wildest1

wildest1 Guest

I've observed the same behavior and first noticed it when running MozBackup, something about Prevx preventing access to "raw user data." Which is a Good Thing. But I could stand to be corrected on that...

But I just left click the Prevx tray icon and stop monitoring for 5 minutes and do my backups. A quick work around. There's no file blocking going on and I don't consider it a problem.

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

What you're experiencing is correct - although it isn't ideal for the usability of backup programs like MozBackup, SafeOnline prevents any outside programs from reading critical browser information. When backing up your data, MozBackup has full access to all of your credentials and login information - something SafeOnline simply won't allow, even in the free version :)

To get around this and perform a backup, you can simply disable SafeOnline/Prevx temporarily via the tray icon - we can't add an exception for MozBackup because malware would be able to use MozBackup to steal the data for them (i.e. calling the backup procedure to copy files to a known location and then steal them from there).

I hope this clarifies our feature a bit better, but let me know if you'd like any further clarification!

5. asdx5

asdx5 Registered Member

When I try to backup my files I am not using MozBackup, but the normal file manager Windows explorer. I think I should be able to make copies with it... Moreover, SafeOnline is disabled, as I wrote in my first post, but I can't copy those 2 files anyway.

6. PrevxHelp

You will still be unable to copy the files with Windows Explorer (as malware could do the same). Could you try disabling Prevx by right clicking on the tray icon near the system clock and selecting "Stop Monitoring"? This should allow you to copy the files but if it doesn't, let me know and I'll take a look as to what may be going wrong.

Thanks! :)

7. asdx5

asdx5 Registered Member

Did you read my posts?
    Never mind.

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

I see no reason to be cocky. I realize you stated that you temporarily disabled Prevx in your OP, so obviously it was a minor oversight by Joe. While you may not like the solution it appears to be by design. FWIW I have the same issue on Win 7.

9. PrevxHelp

Sorry about misinterpreting your post, but there are multiple ways to disable the protection of Prevx - you could configure HTTP/HTTPS website protection to Off, you could click the "On/Off" button in the SafeOnline configuration screen and turn it from On to Off, you could right click on the tray icon and select Stop Monitoring and enter Install Mode, or you can right click on the tray icon and enter a fully disabled mode for a configurable amount of time.

You may need to close your web browsers after selecting Stop Monitoring in order for it to fully release its protection - could you let me know if this lets you through?

Thanks - sorry again for the confusion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.