Does PEBuilder still conflict with PG?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Mele20, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have KAV 2006 and wanted to make a rescue disk. So, I followed the instructions and got PEBuilder and then ran the KAV wizard. Nary a peep from PG. But I got 10 errors and 9 warnings and PEBuilder stopped because of them. I asked at KAV forum and a member of the Russian lab and a Russian support team member both answered but I didn't mention I had PG running as I had no idea at the time that there was this supposed conflict. I then tried to delete the folder that had about 2,000 files from PE builder to try again but a file "petmphive" could not be deleted as it was supposedly in use. That problem led me to search about this and I found posts stating that PG from way back in 2004 is incompatible with PEBuilder and that PG will not alert or anything but will cause most of the errors I saw when trying to build the ISO.

I tried searching here for threads and was informed there are no threads that contain the word "PEBuilder". But I have this thread which I found reference to in another forum.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-55372.html

So, from 2004 to now this issue remains? DiamondCS didn't do anything or is this issue fixed in the latest version of PG? I am still using 3.15.

I gather that if I disable PG before opening PEBuilder that should work?

2. tonyjl

tonyjl Registered Member

Hi Mele20

Just tried it myself,no probs. (2 errors 0 warnings) The two errors were from RegDefend,which prevented pebuilder from deleting the petmphive file.

15:08:32 22 Nov 2006 | RegDefend | Blocked set value by pebuilder.exe | HKLM\System\Controlset001\Control\Hivelist | \registry\user\pebuilder.exe-d:/bartpe/pebuilder313/petmphive |

I have the above rule to automatically block without asking me,otherwise i'd of allwed it and then pebuilder could of deleted that file.

I have no special permissions set for pebuilder.exe or cdrecord.exe by the way,they're just allowed to execute.

I'm using PG v3.410.

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

It no longer causes me a problem - but was always fixed by turning off PG

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you tonyjl and starfish_001. Evidently the problem was fixed after 3.15. That is good to know. I had problems with the latest version and that is why I went back to 3.15.

I tried again with PG disabled and got all the same errors. I am now thinking the problem is because I have an OEM (Dell) reinstallation XP Pro CD, not a retail one, and PEBuilder detects this and warns that there will be problems...gee, PEBuilder isn't very useful if it can't use an OEM reinstallation CD. This CD has NO Dell crap on it. It is just XPPro SP2 and nothing else so I don't know why that would pose a problem for PEBuilder but it appears that is the problem.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Mele20

If your CD is actually a microsft CD then you dont' have a problem. I get the same warning, but PEBuilder keeps right on trucking and the CD works fine. The warning is more a licensing type issue warning than a techincial issue.

Pete

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you Pete. This is not one of those awful "restore" CDs that other OEMs like to give out. Those restore an OEM computer to factory defaults which usually include junk programs and other crap. But the Reinstallation CD simply installs XP and nothing else. It is issued by Dell with a new PC and is the Microsoft XP Pro SP2 CD. The only difference between it and the one you buy off the shelf in a store is that this one says OEM in the license meaning that all support must come from Dell not Microsoft. So, I think you are right that PE Builder is alerting about a license thing which shouldn't affect making a KAV Rescue CD.

I'm going to have try again with PG off since I have the 3.15 version and if I get a bunch of errors again I guess I will need to go to PEBuilder forums. I read that those of us who get these errors and clear the registry manually of the open hive still have a bunch of problems...yuck...but at least I know this isn't related to PG as long as I keep it disabled before I start PEBuilder (and if I had the latest PG version even that would not be necessary). So, at least I have ruled out PG as the cause of the PEBuilder problems.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

8. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi Mele20,

PG present or not, on any of my XP systems, I always see those PE Builder hive errors. I've never been able to isolate the cause...and I think it's likely something in the way I tweak XP when I first set it up. Anyway, my workaround is to boot into Safe Mode, log in as Administrator, and then run PE Builder. Always works with no errors for me.

Nick

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Thank you. I read the entire thread. That gets so complicated that I no longer have much enthusiasm for creating a Rescue disk. At least I now know why I never could use BartPE with NOD32 several years ago on another Dell.

I don't quite understand all the posters who were complaining about having to put i386 on the hard drive. It is there already. I have never owned a Dell that didn't have it on the drive when I got the machine. So, right there my Dells are different from those posters.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mele20,

It really is not too difficult although it appears to be since the solution was being developed throughout that thread and only collected in outline form in Post #87. If I have the steps that I followed correct from memory, it is:
    • Copy the Dell XP install disc to a HHD location to allow editing of the setupreg.hiv file. I use C:\XP_Pro_CD.
    • Download and install SubInACL.exe from Microsoft (see http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...6-d8fe-4a91-93cf-ed6985e3927b&DisplayLang=en).
    • Download the fixdell.cmd command file. Code is below:
      Code:
      REM Version 1.2
      reg query HKU | find /i "pebuilder" > fixdell.txt
      for /f %%a in (fixdell.txt) do reg unload %%a
      reg load HKLM\DELL setupreg.hiv
      subinacl /subkeyreg hkey_local_machine\dell\controlset001\services\iastor\ /objectcopysecurity=hkey_local_machine\dell\controlset001\services
      reg unload HKLM\DELL
      del fixdell.txt
      del /ah setupreg.hiv.log
      echo Check output to see if there are any errors.
      pause
      For the example directory that I used above, copy this cmd file into the folder location C:\XP_Pro_CD\I386\. Also copy the file installed SubInACL.exe to this folder (C:\XP_Pro_CD\I386\). The default install location of SubInACL.exe is C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.
    • Run the fixdell.cmd command file.
    • Place the fixdell.inf file (code below) into the pebuilder plugin folder, typically C:\pebuilderxxxx\plugin\dellfix\dellfix.inf where xxxx is the version number of the pebuilder executable being used.
      Code:
      ; Original file from Bart
      ; Updated 2006-02-23

[Version]
      Signature= "$Windows NT$"

[PEBuilder]
      Name="Fix Dell Windows XP OEM boot problems"
      Enable=1

[SourceDisksFiles]
      iastor.sys=4,,4
      a320raid.sys=4,,4
      aarich.sys=4,,4
      aac.sys=4,,4
      cercsr6.sys=4,,4
      afamgt.sys=4,,4
      NvAtaBus.sys=4,,4
      nvraid.sys=4,,4
    • Run pebuilder as you normally would pointing to the modified source (C:\XP_Pro_CD\) on your HDD. It should run without error.
    This is a somewhat more explicit description than provided by the link I gave above (which should be consulted as that is where the original method was developed and presented).

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.