does operator know phone's mac?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by tehit, Jun 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tehit

tehit Registered Member

Is there a standard to what wifi router logs when you connect to it with wifi enabled cell phone?
    If the mac of the phone is logged than is it possible for the cell phone operator to find out the corresponding imei of the phone
    (although cell phones identify/connect to base stations with imei number)

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

My router assigns an internal IP address to my phone, based on the MAC...just like any other WiFi radio. That MAC shouldn't leave the local network. Wifi shouldn't have anything to do with the IMEI other than a MAC will identify the vendor, and the IMEI will indicate the vendor as well (I think?). Since you can't easily (if at all?) spoof a phone MAC, your real one would show up in Starbuck's router logs, etc... There may be some correlation available by taking all IMEI's connected to a tower, and then getting the router logs of all open access points within tower range and looking up the MAC vendor ID and trying to match them to what model the IMEI is...but I don't know...seems very difficult and I'm not a 'mobile guy'.

PD

Edit: There is also the IMSI, which identifies "you" it looks like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mobile_Equipment_Identity

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.