Does Norton ConnectSafe (DNS) really work?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Anguel, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Hi!

So far I used OpenDNS servers as a first layer for malware blocking. However, I have never seen it blocking anything so it is hard to say how efficient it was.

Now I read that Norton DNS should be good, because Norton is an AV company and has a large Norton SafeWeb database. This is what they say about their ConnectSafe DNS service:
    "Real-Time Protection: Norton ConnectSafe leverages the power of Norton Safe Web, which contains information on millions of Web sites accessed billions of times each day."

So I gave it a try yesterday. To test I looked at their SafeWeb Buzz https://safeweb.norton.com/buzz listing all the new threats. Unfortunately, ConnectSafe DNS did not block any of the domains I pasted from SafeWeb Buzz. Fortunaley, Kaspersky AV caught most of them :)
    So I wonder if the advertised SafeWeb blocking really works... Any comments are welcome!

Anguel

2. kronckew

kronckew Registered Member

you need to sign up for an account at opendns, and manage your network blocking.add your network ip and select what categories you want blocked, add blaclist/whitelist domains, etc

you need to update it manually if your ip changes, tho some routers have a dynamic dns setting to do it for you, or you can use opendns' windows background app. you can even set up your own reporting messages that appear if you hit a bad url.

norton has three levels of blocking, A thru C with increasingly more categories blocked which level did you set your dns to in the windows adapter settings?

i use a custom mvps host file for prelim blocking, as well as a periodically updated ip blocklist from bluetack in my outpost firewall, and top it off with eset smart security's antimalware and antivirus, hips, etc. (eset firewall off).

3. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

I set up Norton for cat A - malware blocking only, nevertheless phishing sites from their SafeWeb should be blocked. Have you tested if this is the case?

4. Works for me

upload_2016-1-7_17-42-7.png

5. kronckew

no, i'm not a norton fan. the only test i did was to run google's namebench & it was slower than opendns, so it was removed. got tired of opendns, their categories are rather loose & i got tired of it blocking stuff where i thought they shouldn't. also a pain to manually update the IP if you are dynamic and their resident utility can be a pain. if they allowed you to reference a domain name rather than an ip, i might still use them.

p.s. - my system blocks inputcomp .com

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  6. itman

itman Registered Member

I use VeriSign's new retail free DNS. Same protection as their commercial paid service. Supports IPv4 & IPv6; Norton only supports IPv4. Also VeriSign DNS uses DNSSEC. No fancy displays or anything, just blocks the connection which is perfectly fine with me.

7. kronckew

might try that. :)

just change your dns to these ip's.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  8. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Hmm, I tested from two different ISPs here in Germany: entering www.inputcomp.com keeps Firefox and Chrome spinning (wating) but I don't see any ConnectSafe page...

UPDATE: Now it worked for
    adamcdonalds.com
    I finally got a SafeConnect warning page there.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  9. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

VeriSigns seems to indeed block the latest malware links listed on Nortons SafeWeb page, although they don't advertise malware scanning for their free public DNS. Interesting :)

BTW: Do you mean Verisign DNS Firewall when talking about their "commercial paid service"? And do you think that their database is comparable to Norton's?

10. Thx, trying it now

11. Nope, IT DOES NOT STOP THEM

I tried a page which is blocked by Norton, it redirects to a phony questionaire, which let me win € 500 for the price to claim I just had to enter my details. After entering phony details, I was asked to send an SMS, they will charge you 12 € (see upper right corner in black) when you send that SMS. Greed is such a great incentive :argh:

upload_2016-1-8_13-38-28.png
    Back to Norton again :eek:

12. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Can you please provide a link to test here?

13. itman

itman Registered Member

Yes. They don't claim to be a rep scanner or the like. Their main claim is "Privacy" and blocking redirects to ad web sites. Of course, the main protection is secure DNS resolution:

Verisign Public DNS is a free DNS service that offers improved DNS stability and security over other alternatives. And, unlike many of the other DNS services out there, Verisign respects your privacy. We will not sell your public DNS data to third parties nor redirect your queries to serve you any ads.

14. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Unfortunately, I experienced serious slowdowns on multiple sites for some reason - looks like this was related to Verisign DNS :( Switched back to Norton DNS for now.

15. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I used the DNSBench from Gibson Research (grc.com) and OpenDNS was in the top 5 for speed.
    Verisign was slower.
    I did test NortonDNS a few months ago and it was really slow.

16. itman

itman Registered Member

I have noticed a noticeable lag in initial connection to some out of country(U.S.) web sites. I assume this might be security related. Not a big deal for me.

17. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

These sites are redirects. If you use 'Request Policy' you'll see the popup to redirect
    and if you choose to allow then Norton ConnectSafe blocks it. You can block with RP to.

18. Hiltihome

Hiltihome Registered Member

Norton ConnectSafe works,
    but it takes up to 20sec. to display warning page.
    Sometimes even more.

From my location, in south-west Germany, it takes more than 30 hops to primary and secondary Norton DNS server.
    Frequent timeouts make this a no-go.

But, normal DNS resolution works, without noticeable delay...:confused:

19. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

A ok, so I experience the same problems here in central Germany obviously. Unfortunately, Verisign DNS seems to have some very serious delay with some forums or youtube embedded videos. So I will stick with Norton for now, although it does not work as advertised.

20. Anguel

Anguel Registered Member

Do I understand correctly that you are talking about the paid Norton ConnectSafe? I have only tried the free one so far.

21. itman

itman Registered Member

Regardless of DNS provider used, you should always check its "spoofabilty" status. You can use GRC's web site to do that: https://www.grc.com/dns/dns.htm . Your test results for all servers used should be "excellent." Also while at the GRC web site, you can download their small portable DNS benchmark utility. This can be used to verify your DNS provider performance.

22. Results for Norton DNS from Netherlands

upload_2016-1-9_17-2-51.png

23. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I used https://code.google.com/p/namebench/ for testing, it is able to find local fastest DNS, but fastest is not always the best. :isay:

As for OpenDNS, I like the settings it provides, not just filtering, which is impossible on a shared IP.

Attached Files:

24. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

This would be the free Norton DNS servers that are available in 3 policies.

25. new2security

new2security Registered Member

Norton Connectsafe has never warned me of anything. I am not a registered member if that makes a difference?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.