Does NOD32 require you to pay for subscriptions like Norton?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by NODmoreViruses, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NODmoreViruses

NODmoreViruses Registered Member

I would like to know. And if yes, can you MANUALLY update it without a subscription?

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, NOD32 requires a paid subscription in order to get all updates. There is no free, manual update method.

Once a user's subscription expires, they can not get any updates legally.

3. NODmoreViruses

What are the updates for? Are they absolutely neccessary? Like if I were to have an expired subscription, does that mean I would be vulnerable to more viruses?

And thanks for the quick reply.

4. LowWaterMark

The subscription gets you the updated virus definitions which are released from between once and a few times each day. Without those updates any anti-virus program becomes less and less effect. The more time that goes by, the less protected a system will be because newer malware is not as likely to be detected.

No matter which anti-virus product you use, NOD32 or any other, you should always try to keep it updated with its latest definitions so it doesn't become useless.

5. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Tip: don't go looking for key generators or illegal stuff since that will almost certainly do you more harm than good.
    P.S. and i also bet the key is fake or blacklisted.

6. NODmoreViruses

Okay.

So I wouldn't be able to use something like how Norton can use a "Virus Defenition Smart Installer" (whatever it's called) without the subscription? Aw man, then I don't really want it if I'm going to be spending money every-so-often for this thing.

7. NODmoreViruses

And no, I'm not going to get it illegaly. Just imagine what kind of sh*t could be on an actual ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM! It could be cracked to make it act different than it's supposed to.

8. stueycaster

stueycaster Registered Member

There are some free antivirus programs out there. I tried Avast and didn't like it. I've been using ESET products for so long I don't even know what's on the free antivirus market any more. Good luck. :thumb:

9. NODmoreViruses

Eh, okay.

You know, if NOD32 had free updates, it would be perfect! It would deffinately beat all other Anti-viruses! Everyone would get it (I sure would, lol)

At least that's MY opinion... Lol.

10. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

And if you worked for free your boss might think you were the perfect employee.

The free AV that are avalible do not compare to the protection offered by NOD. If it was free it wouldn't have the money invested in it and it wouldn't be so good....

If you are already running a PC and have an interent connection is the small annual fee NOD charge really that much of a hardship? Compare the price to Norton or McAfee.

Also the Norton Intelligent Updater doesn't work if you don't have a current subscription.

11. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Norton still requires updates. Every AV updates daily. AVG,Avast,Antivir are all free for life. Norton,Kaspersky,NOD32,McAfee are all yearly paid subscriptions. Most are for 1 year. If you do not update then you do not have the latest files to fight any new virus that comes out.

12. LowWaterMark

Since the user got their answer regarding the subscription requirement for NOD32, we'll end this topic now. Anyone looking for a free anti-virus can browse through our "other anti-virus software" section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.