Does Nod32 notify user when it deletes an infected email?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dannyeluciane, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyeluciane

dannyeluciane Registered Member

Hello everyone,

I set Nod32 to delete infected emails.
    If someone sends me an infected email and nod32 deletes it, will Nod32 notify me that it deleted the email?

Is there anyway to test the email protection, so I can see how Nod32 behaves?

I use Nod32 v.4, everything set to strict cleaning.
    My email program is Windows Live Mail.

Thanks,
    Danny

2. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

It will send the infected email to a local email folder 'Infected Items'.

Make sure your email client has an entry with a checked box in the advanced setup tree.
    (Email client protection->POP3, POP3S->Email clients).

You can test in the following manner:
    1. Visit the Eicar website: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
    2. Temporarily 'Disable antivirus and antispyware protection' (right click on NOD32 icon in taskbar)
    3. Download 'Eicar_com.ZIP' to your Desktop.
    4. Send an email to yourself attaching the file 'Eicar_com.Zip'
    5 Enable antivirus and antispyware protection.
    6. Receive your email.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  3. dannyeluciane

Thankful,

I don't have an "Infected Items" folder. I looked for it and I couldn't find it.

I followed your advise. I disabled Nod32 and Windows Defender, but the Windows Live Mail program blocked the email from being sent. I received an error message notifying me that the email message's attachment has a virus and to remove the attachment before sending.

Thanks, Danny.

4. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

Windows Live must have its own malware protection which is preventing the email from being sent.

5. dannyeluciane

Thankful, Thank you. I appreciate your effort and your help.

I wondering if I should disable windows defender's email scanning. Perhaps that may be conflicting with Nod32?

Thanks,
    Danny.

6. Thankful

Thankful Savings Monitor

I would NOT disable Windows Defender's email protection.
    The difficulty you are having testing NOD32's email protection is most likely related to Windows Live Mail, not Windows Defender. I am not an expert with Windows Live mail but found this from Microsoft's website:

7. dannyeluciane

I have been tinkering with the Nod32 email settings. I think that when I select move to infected items folder, Nod32 appends a messages saying what virus was found and that it cleaned it. If I set it to exclude/delete email, Nod32 deletes it, doesn't notify me, and logs the information. Does anyone agree or disagree with this?

Thanks
    Danny.

8. dannyeluciane

Hello everyone,

I discovered the answer to my question. I found the answer in the User Guide.

"4.1.3.3 Removing infiltrations
    If an infected email message is received, an alert window will display. The alert window shows the sender name, email and the name of the infiltration. In the lower part of the window the options Clean, Delete or Leave are available for the detected object. In almost all cases, we recommend that you select either Clean or Delete. In certain situations, if you wish to receive the infected file, select Leave. If Strict cleaning is enabled, an information window with no options available for infected objects will displayed." (Bold and Italic Mine.)

I downloaded and saved the User Guide to my computer. In the future I will check it out before I post in this forum.

Thanks,
    Danny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.