Does Mass Effect for PC Still Have SecuROM?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Brandonn2010, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Because I've never played Mass Effect 2, I'm considering getting it and Mass Effect 1 for the PC, since I know if you use a character from Mass Effect 1 your decisions effect Mass Effect 2. However, from what I've read Mass Effect 1 for the PC is kind of bad since it's a port, but I can live with that. However, I heard it also comes with SecuROM, and only allows 3 installations, and it will take 1 away if your hardware changes at all, and can cause various bugs.

My question is if Mass Effect 1 for the PC still has SecuROM and the installation limit, or if they have removed it due to complaints.

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

All the drm crap that comes in PC games now is one of the big reasons I quit buying games for the PC. Some of the restrictions and stuff is a joke.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

ME1's retail version still has DRM, but it is removed for the steam version.

4. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

I've never heard of 3 installations limit. But I bought the game years after it was published. Not any problems with that.

But yes, it comes with DRM, I don't remember exactly is it SecuROM. Hasn't caused any issues with my installation, apart from the "no disc" errors now and then when trying to play - same as always with DRM games. One could ask what point there is to make buyers' life more difficult, as these restrictions get bypassed anyway.

Steam however is a nice service, I usually buy my games from there nowadays. Of course it's a kind of tradeof; you don't get DRMs, but you don't get a physical, standalone game either.

5. Brandonn2010

I think I'll get the 1st from Steam and the 2nd on disc. I just like to have a physical copy in my hands in case I can't get access to the Internet.

6. Brandonn2010

Do you know if I would be able to load the saved ME1 game from Steam with the ME2 game that's not on Steam, or does the PC version let you do that at all?

7. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

The PC version has a tool which can be used to convert the save files for Mass Effect 2. It comes with the package. After conversion, it should appear in the game menu.

PC version is actually easier on this - you can even download somebody else's save game and play with that.

This should work on the Steam version too. Only thing different is where Steam puts the save files.

I wouldn't recommend this link yet, as it contains spoilers about main selections during the games, but you may find it helpful later when you have completed ME1:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Save_File_Transfer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.