does linux i/o read/write less windows?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by 1nvad3r, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1nvad3r

1nvad3r Registered Member

does linux i/o read/write less on hard drive than windows, since windows require antivirus and other security products? but what if it the is a fresh installed windows 7 and ubuntu?

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Windows does not require anti-virus hence the comparison between vanilla systems is what you're looking for. You can do a benchmark and see, but it would require several weeks worth of data to get any meaningful result.

I believe, without any benchmarks, is that windows does more i/o because it utilizes pagefile even when there's free ram, whereas linux will normally use swap only if there's no ram left, except really badly written code.

Because of the kernel architecture differences, windows also has a higher overhead in communication between the kernel and its modules, so this could be an extra penalty, especially if related to network and disk.

But other than these general items, it depends on everything, including what kind of io scheduler you use, graphical interfaces, programs, usage model, etc. Virtually impossible to come up with one accurate figure.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.