does limewire come with spy/adware/viruses?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i tried it out and it was clean when i scanned with KAV, F-Secure, Adaware and afew others, but i'm not really interested it that, more about what i found, a BBC radio 1 essential mix from my old best friend from South Beach Fl. he F$*!ing ROCKS. you can read about him at the link, i think if you have limeware you should D/L it. :D
    Desyn Masiello, check out his reviews :cool:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/dance/essentialmix/reviews_desyn_masiello.shtml
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/dance/essentialmix/reviews_miami05.shtml

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

sorry i haven't been on in a while aol spyware sweeper found webp2p

3. cheater87

anyone?

4. Simon Phoenix

Simon Phoenix Registered Member

No, it doesn't contain spyware, AOL spyware scanner is garbage.

5. cheater87

no its not it found 6 things on my computer today including dialer

6. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

Not much on Google for webp2p, but it seems that AOL reports it if you have LimeWire installed. No other spyware scanners find it - that, and the scarcity of hits on Google, suggests that AOL has goofed on this one.

This list of clean and infected P2P clients looks pretty good.

7. dread

dread Registered Member

The way I see it if the company that makes it tells you that it has ads and that you have to buy the pro version to get one without ads its adware plain and simple. Now what you consider is bad or good is your own opinion. I have ran some apps and didnt mind the little ads in the app but its still adware. As far as you fluxgfx you go tell limewire they are wrong and they dont know what they are talking about when they say their own product has ads.

8. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

It is odd that LimeWire says that, when the only 'ad' it displays is a message to upgrade to LimeWire Pro. I wonder why.

I can't accept that as adware, though. For instance, the free versions of ewido and Ad-Aware carry similar messages. Let's start a new thread:

Is Ad-Aware adware? :D

9. kewltidus

kewltidus Registered Member

Yes limewire does contain viruses/ spyware whatever you guys want to say
    I had limewire pro for some time and i downloaded things and then little by little it started eating all my memory from my computer untill my computer only had 1 megabyte of memory left and i didn't know what it was at first because there was nothing that was taking a memory it was like it was a ghost or something taking up all my memory and then i opened up limewire and whene i went to my library there were like 1000 things with different names all wired to my c drive taking up like 750kb there were so many that it took up all my memory so i deleted everything and then checked my memory and had everything back to normal on my memory and i was stupid enough to leave limewire on my computer and then some days later my computer was back to 2 megabytes so i went back to limewire to see if the things were back but there was nothing in my library like if they were hidden there too so i tried to delete limewire and everything but i still had 2 megabytes of memory so i had to complete clean out all of my hard drives and completely reinstall windows xp and everything and to this date i have not gotten limewire back. So limewire very bad

10. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The (overwhelming) likelihood is that you downloaded a trojan which messed up your system (they are endemic on P2P networks, especially if you go looking for cracks or warez). This says nothing about Limewire itself.

11. stoned194e

stoned194e Guest

lime wire (incase you didnt read the support page) tells you in words that it is connected to kazza napster winmx etc directly as a part clients, and is not responsible for anything as it is not alooed to monitor a personal computers state. kazaa gave me about 7 trojans and "the KAZAA virus" whci can only just be got rid of if you system restart adn install everything again on our compouter after decoding its virus and trojans. lime wire has connections directly to kazaa and most of lime wires users are on the kazaa site, but appear to be with limewire, dont download it, it'll kill ur pc!!!

12. Paul2

Paul2 Guest

13. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i like Frostwire best and Bittorrent clients are good too.

15. eurekamind

eurekamind Registered Member

I am totally agree with the above two quotes.

I hv downloaded Limewire_v4.10.9 - Free from the official limewire site and I am using it since past 4 months. I hv really not encountered any problem with it till now.

Also, Ad-Aware SE personal, NOD32 and HijackThis have not found out anything wrong with it.

When u start the limewire free it pops up a messg. window which offers to purchase its "pro" version. THATS IT! ..... after closing that window by choosing "later"option no other pop-ups or ads appears.

But, technically or going by def. of adware.....YA ! it is an adware becoz it pops up a single ad for its "pro" version at its startup.

So,those who don't want to tolerate this single ad should not install the Limewire-free.

otherwise , it is a good and very popular p2p software.

as far as Limewire-Pro is concerned, I hv read-out good comments on it, but personally not tried it out so far ..... so no comments!

Note: If anyone want to give it a try...download it from the official site of the Limewire only.

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

its not an ad, just nag screen.

similarily antivir classic will nag u to upgrade to antivir premium.

17. eurekamind

eurekamind Registered Member

ya.. for users like U and Me it is a nag screen.

BUT many consider it as an Ad.

So, It is upto the users for what he is comfortable with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.