does limewire come with spy/adware/viruses?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

I'm not going to say the speed is any better, but out of KazaaLite (different flavors/versions), WinMX (which has always been a joke, d/l-wise) and a few others I've tried for various lengths of time, LimeWire Pro gives me more consistent completion of d/l's - things don't sit in there forever in the "Partial"/"Pending"/"Incomplete" folders or whatever - they get done.

Which would seem to me to be what's it's all about. Pete

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

it seems I'll try this out then cause eventhough I like Emule a lot, I need something that downloads a bit quicker...that is the thing you are saying Pete (dl's forever in pending...:))

Thanx

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome. Pete

4. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Just on this note about LimeWire.

I have been a paid user of LimeWire Pro for 2years. Have been getting great service. Has for the searching/download, never had a problem and no complaints. The program has been doing me good.

With the possibility of getting results for only people on cable/dsl and higher. Only present 4 and 5 star rating. Renders the search more accurate/reliable.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  5. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Current versions of Limewire are sypware/adware free as far as the application goes..what you download and acquire with the application might not be free from spy/adware/viruses..that hold true for all P2P..and the reason you install Security applications incleuding a good real time scanner and firewall your Sysytem.

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

u said that pro is spyware free. now i'm worried that i have to upgrade soon to pro.

7. FluxGFX

The regular version is also spyware/adware free. I use the regular version on my mac and the Pro on the PC.

8. cheater87

i heard it can stop a download if it finds a virus in it is this true?

9. FluxGFX

How it works.

The download will proceed and before it allows you to use it, it will verify the content then will allow you to access the file.

10. cheater87

i found out that it does have spyware i scanned with AOL's spyware scanner and it found 2 items i deleted them but one of them keeps coming back.

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

:rolleyes:

Dear God.

I give up.

Pete

12. Primrose

Well Pete gave up..but I have not so lets get technical..post the name(s) of this sypware it found..not just ITEMS :D :D and we can cogitate.

You might have spyware..but Limewire does not..if you have the current version they offer.

13. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Limewire did include spyware - it actually included software to hijack website affiliate links (so if you visited Amazon.com from an affiliate, Limewire would alter the URL to use its affiliate code instead) gaining it the term "thiefware" (see Standards urged for e-tail commissions). However it does appear to have improved (see Ben Edelman's Comparison of Unwanted Software Installed by P2P Programs) but spyware scanners that aren't properly updated may still flag it as a false positive.

14. Primrose

Did in like past tense not does.. ;) so good idea to check your version and/or make sure you have uninstalled any old versions completely.

15. FluxGFX

Bingo. Current Freeware and Pro version do not contain the so called "AdAware" in them.

Cheers :p

//-LimeWire Pro 4.8.1-// got to love it!

16. dread

dread Registered Member

17. FluxGFX

Hi,

If you actually were using it. You would see for yourself.

Also take a look at their faq page
    http://www.limewire.com/english/content/faq.shtml#sec2

/Quote/

Q: Does LimeWire have spyware?

A: LimeWire Version 4.0 is completely free of any type of bundled software. However, some older versions of LimeWire come with bundled software. We do not consider this software to be "spyware" because it does not report any personal information. Users are not required to install this software but it helps defer costs. You can purchase LimeWire PRO, an ad-free version of our software which also comes with e-mail support.

/End Quote/

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  18. FluxGFX

Now if you read correctly versions Prior to 4.0 use to have bundle software and the user did have the option to install it or not. As of version 4.x bundle software is not found in LimeWire and also a Ad-Free version LimeWire Pro is available with more options for searching and better rate for downloading.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

19. dread

dread Registered Member

It is adware though cuase it displays ads, the free version that is. You have to buy pro to get it without ads.

20. FluxGFX

Can you read?

/Quote/

Q: Does LimeWire have spyware?

A: LimeWire Version 4.0 is completely free of any type of bundled software. However, some older versions of LimeWire come with bundled software. We do not consider this software to be "spyware" because it does not report any personal information. Users are not required to install this software but it helps defer costs. You can purchase LimeWire PRO, an ad-free version of our software which also comes with e-mail support.

/End Quote/

Version 4.x does not have bundle software anymore "free of any type of bundled software". Now they explained what they had in the "PAST"

PAST = "However, some older versions of LimeWire come with bundled software. We do not consider this software to be "spyware" because it does not report any personal information. Users are not required to install this software but it helps defer costs."

PRESENT = "LimeWire Version 4.0 is completely free of any type of bundled software."

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

Can a MOD close this thread I think the point of Spyware/Adware for the program has been demonstrated with facts that it's free of any from version 4.x. This thread should be done with.

21. dread

dread Registered Member

Yes I can read. It says you have to buy limewire pro to get the ad-free version. A program that displays ads is adware. If basic displays ads its adware.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adware Adware or advertising-supported software is any software application in which advertisements are displayed while the program is running.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:adware
    A software application that can display advertising banners while the program is running or via some other triggering mechanism is called adware

22. Meltdown

Meltdown Registered Member

*sigh*

But it doesn't display ads. The only 'advertisement' is one for upgrading to LimeWire pro. If that makes it adware, I'm living on Planet Insane.

23. FluxGFX

Make it simple install it you see if there's any ads into it. Oh did I forget there's no ads,banner, or bundle software to rotate and display ads.

rofl your cracking me up.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

24. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Pete, I know.

"Different organizations - different definitions": is 100% correct.

"Problems with Acronis Privacy Expert F/P's": most important problems with Acronis PE are indeed quit a lot of false positives, so I can not recommended the program, very pity because without those false positives it's a great piece of software.

Personally I'm not using the program, but I'm testing it for a customer, and it classified in my test Limewire Pro as "Adware".

Here the Acronis PE report about Limewire Pro:

Attached Files:

25. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Let me begin by admitting I have not read this entire thread - I lost interest about halfway down.
    I have recently installed LimeWire (not pro) becuase a client asked me to provide my opinion. I have been operating it from behind a transparent logging firewall/proxy/nat device and so am fully aware of all traffic generated. Also using Lavasoft Ad-Aware to scan my system for threats after installation and also scanning with NOD32 2.5.
    None of these things have so far turned up anything that leads me to believe LimeWire is anything but clean EXCEPT after shutting down the client there are a couple of extra requests for traffic and then thats it.
    My opinion - LimeWire is clean.
    The only advert to reach my screen is the inbuilt and very acceptable 'Upgrade to Pro' nag

Last edited: May 14, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.