does limewire come with spy/adware/viruses?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, May 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

does it?

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Short question, short answer: yes

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2005
  4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Limewire is supposed to be ad and spyware free.

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

When I have enough time, I will check Limewire Pro again and give you here the results:)

6. cheater87

7. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I've re-installed and checked it again, and have to admit it's ad- and spyware free

Changed my opinion about Limewire, see my next message.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  8. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Now I'm a little confused.

Acronis SecurityExpert v8 has rated Limeware as Adware.

Is this rating as Adware correct or not?

Attached Files:

9. AnthonyG

Spyware Doctor Said it was Spyware too, one had to go from my system, So it was the Doctor.

I have had it on for half a year now and i have had no spyware probs that i know of. (and no hits on it with Spybot, Adaware original and SE, MSAS, Counterspy, and Mcafee Antispyware)

10. CyberMew

CyberMew Registered Member

I tried LimeWire Pro before and scanned with Ad-Aware Pro and Spysweeper with no problems. The free version 'might' contains them, thought I am not sure, but I am rather sure the paid version do not contain those baddies.

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

The only "adware" in the free version is the little messages urging you to buy the "Pro" version.

The "Pro" version is totally spyware and adware free. Pete

Attached Files:

12. Paul2

Paul2 Guest

13. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Checked the Pro version with Acronis and the report was very clear: "Adware".

Maybe false positive?

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Smokey - Different organizations have different definitions of what they classify as "Adware".

In the broadest sense of the word, the freeware version of LimeWire could be classified as "Adware" because it does present an ad that wants you to purchase the "Pro" version - but the freeware version does not do anything other than that, so the "Adware' classification can be mis-leading.

Think about it - neither AdAware nor SpyBot Search&Destroy will "alert" on LimeWire (at least not the "Pro" version which I have here - perhaps someone with the freeware version can tell us if either of those two programs does alert of the freeware version).

Using Acronis as your watermark may not be the best of ideas - there seems to be relatively-frequent problems with F/P's with the program ( https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=78580 ). Pete

15. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

Etrust Pestpatrol also scans it as adware(4.8.1 Pro)
    another false positive? :p

Attached Files:

16. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

lol! I know you're not going to hold up PP as any kind of standard to pay attention to, right? Pete

17. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I am pretty sure it is free of adware, viruses, ect. I dont have it on my computer, but it is on another computer in my house. Before I installed it I scanned with Spybot/Ad-Aware as well as AVG, the system was clean. I then installed it an ran these programs again and it was still clean. Now after having it installed for about a mouth I have ran various other scans such a Bitdefender, Dr. Web CureIT, ect. and they still turn up clean. So from what I can see Limewire is fine, and it is the p2p program that I reccomend to people if they desire to use one. I personally dont use it on my computer because I dont like taking the risk that any file I download could be malware.

18. pollmaster2

pollmaster2 Guest

Personally I don't mind if the product displays static ads that are not pulled from online adservers. Given that no online connection is made, I can be sure I'm safe.Technically still adware, which originally means ad supported software.

I don't like software that display dynamic changing ads drawn from online servers though, even if they swear up and down they don't send info to the servers about what I do.

Opera, adsupported version for example, displays contextual text ads based on the sites I'm currently visiting, which is a big "no no" in my book.

Worse yet are software that send info about me, but claim they aggregate the info...

Worse yet are software that unbashly admit they track and tag my actions as an indidivual.

And worse than all these, are those that fall squarely into spyware and keylogger categories.

The term adware/spyware seems to loose to encompass all this.

All this is from an information disclosure point of view, but i just hate all those ads flashing in my face regardless.

19. cheater87

dang this topic grew will i'm going to scan with norton now. its fully updated. just to make sure.

20. cheater87

nothing on norton its clean

21. AnthonyG

ive used Limewire Pro for six months, and i am very happy with it.

22. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

even the free version is clean if you get it from the limewire site.

23. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

<g> Yes, I believe I said that back in post #11! :D Pete

24. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi, to the experienced Limewire Users: "is the downloadspeed of limewire better then let's say Emule,Kad or Bittorrent?"

25. AnthonyG

Depends on how many people have the file you want, its dependent on other peoples connection speeds.

But the good thing i like about limewire (that kazaa doesnt do) is it gives you the other persons connection speed so you know if its worth trying to download the filew or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.