Does Kubuntu 12 LTS allow a user to encrypt Swap?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Warlockz, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Im trying to encrypt my swap in Linux Mint 12 KDE, but so far I have read it does not support it, Does Kubuntu 12 support encrypting SWAP with

sudo ecryptfs-setup-swap

Because Linux mint 12 KDE just gives me

~ # sudo ecryptfs-setup-swap
    sudo: ecryptfs-setup-swap: command not found

Linux Mint 12 is becoming a major Hemorrhoid, if its not one thing its another. so I am about to quickly switch to something more stable and that supports more of the features I want.

2. Warlockz

sorry im a noob, I Installed Linux Mint 12 KDE for learning purposes, and do not have any sensitive files on it, Im just trying to learn as much about linux security as possible for when I decide to create my main Linux Box...

I think im going to go to the linux forums instead, I dont know why im always asking linux questions here? seems too slow here for linux questions...:cautious:

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

You can encrypt swap on Ubuntu. I do it every time I updgrade. But I also use the full disk encryption option, which automatically encrypts swap.

But you can encrypt swap by itself if you want to. I wouldn't use encryptfs, but would use cryptsetup instead. It will encrypt it with a random key and thus you wont have to enter any password. You can google on how to use cryptsetup.

4. Warlockz

I take this statement back, tried Kubuntu 12LTS for a few hours and I felt like banging my head against the wall, still have not found anything that measures up to the ease and usability of Linux Mint.

I think the problems I have had with Mint is I am a New user so it is a user issue more than a distro issue. but Kubuntu, like seriously could they have picked a more annoying movie player that can figure out the stupid aspect ratio and retarded annoying Internet browser, cant even play wmv files, even after I added codecs, how dumb, their going to need 5LTS years to make it more user friendly, because its like one big complicated mess ATM IMO!

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  5. Warlockz

Linux Mint 13 is looking awsome, has pretty much everything I need and like already, saweet! :D

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You have a thing with hemorrhoids, don't you?
    It's an interesting analogy for software, though.
    Mrk

7. noons

noons Registered Member

You realize your not limited to the software that it comes with right? Use firefox/chrome for web and vlc for media.

8. Warlockz

@ Mrkvonic. I know ha lol ;) patiently waiting for your review of Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon LTS :thumb: I agree "Kubuntu 12.04 review - Precise what?" exactly what I was thinking after I tried it.

@ noons. I know Im not limited, its just the process of removing and installing and reconfiguring,...I can sit for days and days trying to figure out how to Configure and customize Kubuntu how I want it but whats the point? its pretty much bare bones IMO, I was very disappointed with it. like where is the Kubuntu wow o_O , Linux mint 13 is pretty much complete for my needs and I already installed my extras and have it configured how I want it....sure beats days of troubleshooting and going nuts in the process ;)

Last edited: May 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.