does it matter what hash I use for TrueCrypt container?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by nmaynan, Jan 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

If I create a TrueCrypt file encryption, I have additional option of using SHA-512 or Whirlpool. Will I see increased security/performance if I use one of these? Does one of the 3 hashes in TrueCrypt "get more attention" (similar to AES vs. Twofish/Serpent) than the others?

2. n33m3rz

n33m3rz Registered Member

Either of those hashes should be fine. SHA-512 is probably the one most vulnerable simply because so much attention has been paid to the other SHA- hashes but really either should be fine imo.

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I will stick to whirlpool, I don't trust the NSA much.

4. traxx75

traxx75 Registered Member

The hashing algorithm selected is only used as a pseudorandom function and, as far as I know, is not used to actually hash a value for later use or to otherwise encrypt data.

Having the option is nice but there are no, in my opinion, real advantages or disadvantages in terms of security due to the functions these algorithms perform in TrueCrypt. You will also not see any performance differences since they are only used when creating a new volume or changing password.

5. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Whirlpool-> then AES-Twofish works great!

6. nmaynan

nmaynan Registered Member

The encryption talk (AES vs twofish etc) say more attention is a good thing--it improves implementation. I was wondering it this applies to hashes too. If more attention is good, then SHA-512 would seem to be a better choice, right?

Does 512 mean better security than 160? (SHA and Whirlpool having 512).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.